SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

New to succession planting and need some guidance.

I've always been a summer gardener; plants go in middle of May and the garden is closed by September. It's worked in the past, because of a lack of sunny spaces, but last spring we built a decent sized bed (and added more beds in the fall), so now I want to try growing stuff I've never tried before.

Based on my local extension guide, I think I can do three plantings, one in March, the main plantings in May, and another in late August/early September. However, I'm concerned about the timing with the March and May plantings.

I've also got a garlic problem. This is my first year planting garlic and it went in around October 21st. I searched for weeks trying to find an estimated harvest date and, for some reason, got it in my head that the garlic would be ready by early June, but now I'm reading that it likely won't be ready until late July, which means the bed will be wasted for any sort of main season crop. If that's the case, I'll likely cut down on how much garlic I plant or maybe add another bed dedicated to garlic. Must do more reading about that.

This picture shows my garden and sizes. Also, next to the left bed is the fence line and along the top is our house, since I forgot to mark those. I'm thinking about planting peas, spinach, onions, and carrots around the third week of March, assuming there's no snow. Am I correct in assuming that those will be ready to harvest by the time I'm starting my main, mid-May plantings?

On to the May plantings. The garlic has put me into a bit of a conundrum, as I had hoped to plant my squash there, so that they can be free to spread, but I fear that planting in July will be much too late. I'd like to do butternut, spaghetti, and acorn squash, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli (none of which we've ever grown) in the garlic patch. There's also a watermelon at the bottom, but that's my husband's project. The top beds have zucchini in the garlic patch and then cucumbers, eggplant, and radishes in the other. I'm doing herbs in the whiskey barrels and will probably put herbs or lettuce in place of the onions.

So, my main question is what to do about the garlic and squash issue. I'm guessing that I couldn't plant them between the garlic? Looking at my notes from last year, I planted everything on May 26th and my zucchini tripled in size between June 30 and July 7th. What would happen if I plant the winter squashes later on, like the end of June?

Oh, and all of these will be direct seeded, so no plants, unless it's just essential to do plants. I attempted to start seedlings indoors last year and it was a disaster.

Comments (28)