SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaspal

Recommendation on direct-vent gas fireplace?

kitchengirl
9 years ago

Hi all,

We are building a new home and plan to have a direct-vent gas fireplace (not a gas log set in a true brick-lined chimney), which is essentially a heating appliance. I thought I'd picked a good model, the Regency B36XTCE, which was strongly recommended by the local dealer for it options and natural flame pattern. I thought its logs and flames looked nicer than the Heat n Glo and the Lennox models on display. But my husband quickly pointed out that its low to high range of btu's was much smaller than their larger fireplace, L965E (which probably is a good bit more $). Also, he asked about energy efficiency, and when I looked for that online, I found that neither model was on the Energy Trust list.

So I am somewhat unsure of how to proceed. Could someone better-informed explain some of the important points in picking a model? We actually do not need a powerful one, as the house is ICF construction (insulated concrete form) and very tightly built with radiant heating, but we live in the Midwest and I'd like to be able to enjoy the fireplace, so excellent low range would be important. But I believe the best flame appearance is at higher levels of btu's.

I am simply looking for an excellent quality, reliable, direct-vent unit that is very attractive, hopefully energy-efficient, with great-looking logs and flame (as good as can be expected in these kinds of units).

If anyone can explain what to look for, and even recommend specific brands and models, I would really appreciate your help. Thanks very much.

Comments (5)