SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbpj

Why grapefruits and not pomelos?

BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

So the grapefruit is a cross between the pomelo and a wild orange, I have heard.

Now I like grapefruit just fine, though I do need to add sugar or if I'm being good, a no calorie sweetener, as I do find most to be a little too sour/bitter to eat plain.

I have been eating pomelo this week. Found some nice pink pomelos from my fruit guy, grown in Mexico, for a decent price. They are wonderful! Nice and sweet with no bitterness. The pulp that is, the membranes do have a bitterness and are quite tough. But they are really easy to separate from the sweet pulp, and the pulp stays intact.

So my question is why grapefruit? Why was such a rather sour fruit marketed so well and such a lovely sweet fruit as a pomelo is still almost unknown in the western world?

Are pomelos hard to grow? Or do they take up too much shipping space relative to amount of pulp per fruit? That is a lot of skin and pith around them. I don't get it, the pomelo should be lots more popular than grapefruit just based on taste, so there must be some other reason.

I know they are popular in Asia, I'm asking about the western market mostly.

Anyone know, or any good guesses?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm