SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

OT: PTB? What to use instead of HTML code?

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Ok, moderators. :) This is a big deal for me. I tend to have a sometimes sarcastic, sometimes even caustic, self-denigrating wit. I prefer to call it humor. Since one reads posts and applies the attitude or mood they're experiencing at the time, it can be iffy as to someone deciding what I'm writing is personally about them, or just another post.

To combat the lack of facial and vocal expression, sure, emoticons are available, but this crowd is so tech-young, the :) is all they might even know. (I would have italicized the "Might" but can't use HTML.) Quotation marks do not display emphasis, contrary to some people's choice of punctuation. For the record, putting something like "might" in quotation marks actually indicates "kinda not."
That means, someone discussing a "blue" sink means "kinda not blue." I digress, but that makes me kinda nuts. Not kinda-not nuts, but nuts.

So....

Since basic HTML coding doesn't work,
the other other boards' coding, with brackets [ ],
the pointy things < > don't work, and
any other coding choices with which I've experimented don't work.
What's a chick to do? I miss my beloved strike-through.

Two things I've noticed.
<LI>To carriage return without a double space, hold the shift key down.
<LI>When these posts go through their transition from composing to posting, there's a brief moment when all the HTML code is displayed (i.e. BR, P, etc.) and anything I've bracketed with HTML code displays properly. Then it blinks and HTML-coded items are simply displayed with the HTML code visible in the message. Follow me? So I know it's possible. (I'm leaving the List Item code in place as an example. When this baby transitions, the dot is visible, but then at posting, we get the <LI>)

What'cha gonna give me so I can humanize my posts and prevent the roaring villagers with their torches and pitch forks from pulling me out of the root celler by my hair, throwing me on a pile of hay, pelting me with rotten fruit, and setting me on fire? Then doing the cha-cha line dance thing around the pyre?

There has GOT (would have been underlined) to be something.

Comments (5)