SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
k88lawrence

Is this red blotch?

k8 (7b, NJ)
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi all-- I've been lurking on this forum for a couple months now, but I figured, new forum, new me, time to post! I'm reaallllyyy new to amaryllis and hippeastrum so I apologize if this is a super silly question . . .

my mom bought an amaryllis from the supermarket for christmas and passed it along to me after the blooms died to see if I could get it to bloom again next year (i think it's a stargazer, but i'm probably completely wrong). I decided to unpot it from its (hideous) plastic pot and put it in some 1-1-1 gritty mix of turface, fir bark, and gravel. after washing the old soil off the bulb and peeling back a few of the soggy, brown layers, i noticed maybe a few tiny red dots on one part of the bulb. i didn't think anything of it and potted it up.

well, a few weeks later, what looks like a leaf is coming up, and it looks almost like it's been sprinkled with paprika-- hard, bumpy paprika that won't come off. I unpotted the bulb and the tiny scattering of red spots has, like, quadrupled in size. after doing a little research, i think it's red blotch, but i wanted to see if I could get a second opinion from the experts!

Since what i've read about getting rid of red blotch sounds like way more hassle than a supermarket bulb is worth, i'll probably toss it if i'm right. i probably should have taken it out of the rich, peaty soil sooner :c

to end this post on a prettier note, a pic of the blooms to see if i got my ID right:

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions