SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Need opinions regarding a window install in my hall bath tub area

texasgal47
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I live alone in a 1500 sq. ft. contemporary, single story patio home and have upgraded it for retirement. The plan is to replace all windows as soon as I can decide whether to install a 46" x 46" clear glass window in the tub/shower area. For me, this bath remodel is about the view so don't want glass blocks. A 46"w x 6.5"h obscured glass window is now in place. That window area would just be extended lower. The hall bath is 10 ft. long x 5" 1" wide with a narrower step in alcove 22" deep in addition to the 10 ft. The width of the tub is against the back wall. A bedroom is on each side of the bathroom. That back wall faces north and exterior is Hardiplank. There is a lovely view outside with many trees, and a wood fence is at the back of the lot. The house directly behind me is single story and has no windows on the back. The house to the right of it is a two story. I'm in Texas where we are mandated to use LowE-366 glass which is dark on the exterior and allows only 66% visible light transmitted. My window installer is one of the pros on the Windows forum and has said he can waterproof it. I trust his judgment . For night privacy I will use vinyl shutters inside or an electric exterior shade. My concern is that guests may feel uncomfortable using this room during the day. I do have a master bath nearby available for guest use as well. My master bedroom is used as a sitting room. Would you "go for it" or leave the window as it is now? If those who have waded through all this, thank you.

Comments (9)