SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Nogreenthumb - directions

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure it was you who asked about directions earlier. I think there's another poster with a similar name. I think it was you though....

Hope this helps. (I'm going to post in sections do it doesn't get cut off.)

General notes - We added wood panels to the sides of the cabinets because I didn’t want opaque stain and figured they’d end up streaky if I didn’t. We also added slightly larger crown. I did finish (both stain and poly) the crown and end panels to match the existing cabinets first. I’m not sure if it really made a difference for the gel stain colors all matching, but I wasn’t taking any chances. You can’t tell they were added later.

GETTING STARTED

I removed all the doors and hinges and set up in a spare room and covered the (carpeted) floor with large, plastic drop cloths. Set up a table and brought in a space heater to keep the temperature adequate. Before I did the topcoat I removed the drop cloths and replaced with new ones. I had no issues with lint. I followed their directions and kept in close communication with GF. I dealt with Sheryl who was very helpful and super fast at responding (email).

You need to figure out what top coat you'll be using BEFORE you start because the cleaning prep is a little different for each. Directions are different for finished cabinets and raw wood. GF may have this info. on their site, but they emailed me a pdf for each.

I used Famowood wood filler for nail holes. It comes in different wood grains and stains beautifully. Ordered from Rockler when I ordered stain. It dries FAST. Keep the container closed. Put a tiny amount in plastic bag and cut small hole in corner to squeeze out.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH