SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abehil

Drop leaf bar ledge on pony wall?

abehil
9 years ago

I'm remodeling a 900 sqft, 2 bedroom condo. I'd like to consider making my eating bar a drop leaf style that can fold done flat against the wall. But I don't know if it's a dumb idea that would affect any resale of the property.

The 42" high eating bar is on the pony wall between kitchen and living room and the chairs sit on the living room side. The pony wall is 8 feet long. My new cabinets are shaker maple but the countertops will likely be granite or some granite-like look so I'm not going for a farmhouse or old world look. The bar top would normally match the kitchen countertop but If the bar is drop leaf I would make it lacquered wood in keeping with the maple cabinets and more like a table leaf.

This property is located in a coastal semi-resort town and is more of a vacation home than a main residence. I'm going to be living here for some time and I actually have a small round kitchen eating table I would like to use instead and would be ok sacrificing some living room space. However, having an eating bar might be what more potential buyers would prefer. For me though I would like to be able to put furniture up against the pony wall for now and not have to wack my head on the bar when sitting down.

While I can find brackets to attach to a fold-able ledge, I am not finding any discussions regarding drop leaf bar ledges. Is it just too odd of an idea?

Comments (3)