SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
baseballmom94_gw

Please Critque Our "Empty Nester" Floor Plan

baseballmom94
9 years ago

We are considering building a home{{gwi:807}} in a maintenance free community near our current neighborhood. We currently have a 12 year old traditional home with 4000 square feet including LR, DR, FR, office and sunroom off kitchen with 4 bedrooms on second floor. home. We are considering the attached floor plan which will be a reverse story and a half with a full daylight basement (not a walkout).

With the new house floor plan we would be losing the LR, DR and sunroom. We would still have 4 bedrooms with 2 on the main floor and 2 in the basement.

Our 2 kids are college age (youngest one graduating from high school this year) so they will be home sporadically but not full time. Most of the people building in the new neighborhood are 55-60 . My husband and I are 49/50 so we feel like building this house is about 5 years too soon for us (not financially but emotionally). My husband wants to sell our house before it ages too much and he likes the idea of a maintenance free neighborhood. If we don't build now, we'll lose the opprtunity to build in the last wooded neighborhoood in our local area which we love.

Please critique this floor plan and let me know what changes you would make. I would also love to hear from people who have gone from a more traditional floor plan to one with less rooms and what were the pros and cons. Thanks so much in advance for your input!

This post was edited by baseballmom94 on Sun, Feb 8, 15 at 1:16

Comments (20)