SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birchpoints

Bill Vincent, I'm hoping you can advise me...

BirchPoint
9 years ago

My issue is a new construction master bath. Long story, but my contractor has turned out to be the contractor from hell. It turns out that he hired a carpenter friend to do the tile work in my house. I had my suspicions but always tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. When he was building/tiling my shower this is what I think I remember seeing him do: kohler cast iron shower pan, cement board, ice & water shield tape along the shower pan flange, then tile applied to the cement board wall with epoxy grout. After some research ( I am still not sure I really understand how a shower should be built) I raised concern with them that they had not adequately waterproofed. They hired a tile guy to come remove the bottom half of the shower wall tiles to properly waterproof and retile. However, after spending a day trying to chisel out the epoxy grout (and not getting very far), the tile guy decided that what had been done was adequate and would probably never leak.

Our other bathrooms were tiled similarly but they have cast iron tubs with cement board above and tile applied to that.

Are these methods adequate? Do I have something to be concerned about?

Comments (23)