SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isixpacku

Need help finishing kitchen/family room

isixpacku
9 years ago

We finished our kitchen and family room remodel this past summer and I have been living life instead of putting the finishing touches on the project. I am down to the hard stuff for me. For the kitchen I still need to pick out banquette cushion fabric, a light over the banquette, and chairs for the banquette (we are using the ones I had in my college apartment many years ago). I have a thread over on the kitchen forum asking for input on a light over the banquette (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1201361421867.html?8).

Below are pictures of my kitchen and family room. The kitchen was a complete gut job and we added can lights, painted, redid the fireplace and surround, and painted the cabinets white in the family room.

{{gwi:2140799}}

{{gwi:2140800}}

{{gwi:2140801}}

{{gwi:2142626}}

{{gwi:2140814}}

{{gwi:2140811}}

{{gwi:2140810}}

{{gwi:2140812}}

{{gwi:2140813}}

For the kitchen I am leaning towards this Visual Comfort light fixture for over the banquette and my husband prefers the second one in bronze which is from Pottery Barn. Which one do you all think would look better?

Visual Comfort
{{gwi:2140806}}

Pottery Barn fixture
{{gwi:2140809}}

With one of these lights and the colors in the kitchen and family room, what color fabric (leather or vinyl) do you think would work well for the banquette. I was planning on only having a bottom cushion made. How would you coordinate the chair color with the banquette cushion color?

In the family room, I think some of the big things that need to be addressed is finding a rug and figuring out how to break up the dark wood coffee and end tables and the darker couches. We had carpet in our family room in the previous houses and although it seemed like a lot of darker pieces between the couch, love seat, and tables, it wasn't this bad. We also have had little mobile kids for the last 5 years and had to put away all the accessories which I previously used to add color to the family room. What do you think would be the best way to address all of the dark furniture? Would you replace some of the items? Would just buying a rug help a lot? What color rug would you recommend?

Another item I am trying to figure out is what I am going to do, if anything, about window treatments. Our backyard is pretty private. The previous homeowner had white wood blinds and brown drapes up in the kitchen and family room. We took all of those down prior to the reno because everything was dark in the rooms and we have tons of trees in the backyard along with a pergola on the back of the house so we don't get a ton of natural light. Taking them down made it so it felt less like we were living in a cave. We definitely don't want wood blinds but I am not sure what type of window treatments would go well. Do you think it looks unfinished without window treatments?

If you all have any other thoughts, I would love to hear them!

Comments (45)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think your selection for the light is very good. There doesn't appear to be any basis for adding such a formal brass fixture to the kitchen.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Room needs a patterned rug. Something that picks up the stone colors around the fireplace & the colors in the granite. Nice room.

• Related Discussions

Please help me finish family room -- especially windows!

Q

Comments (19)
    Wow - AKtillery's makeover is inspirational! Here's a link to Overstock's version of the silk curtains I have in mind (I'm looking at mine at Tuesday Morning, so I need to decide today or they'll be gone tomorrow!) Because they are so light as is my sectional, it would have a tone-on-tone effect rather than contrast. But I really didn't want to call too much attention to them by making them a darker color -- I just wanted to add some layering and warmth. Or am I altogether too boring? By the way, the curtains are a much less expensive option than shades. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Signature-Pearl-White-Textured-Silk-Curtain-50-in.-x-108-in./3846748/product.html Thanks so much!
    ...See More

Painted kitchen and family room gray, need help with cabinets!

Q

Comments (14)
    Thank you guys so much for the feedback. We're totally leaning towards repainting with a warmer gray or beige. Camouflage might be nice, any other recommendations for something that's classic and also can work with the slightly yellow cabinets and backsplash? This post was edited by jsg4 on Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 15:26
    ...See More

Help finish family room

Q

Comments (10)
    Yollies-I have three children one married and two away at college, when everyone is home this is the room we are using. I like that everyone is comfortable in the room and enjoy the space. Prior to my room re-do, you don't want to see the before pics (haha), I did'nt have any window coverings on my patio door or the windows flanking the fireplace and did not think I would want any, but I like the warmth and softness they bring to the room. I have faux roman blinds on the windows and panels on the patio door which are normally open for the view. Although I can see the TV from my kitchen table, I can't while at the stove or sink wall, plus are we really watching the TV while cooking or just listening or using it as background noise? Regarding sofas and window coverings, what feel to do want in your room, warm and cozy, cool, light and airy? These decisions will guide your choices regarding colors and fabrics. If your keeping some of the pieces in the room, use those as a starting point to look for upholstery pieces and case goods. If you go the two couch route, look into a large square coffee table, great for playing games and some special display pieces. I love mine, it is on coasters and has two full size drawers to store blankets, pillows and other misc. items. Plus, I always love a sofa table, see pic! Enjoy the process and keep us updated along the way!
    ...See More

Need help with family room off of kitchen

Q

Comments (1)
    duplicate
    ...See More
  • amykath
    9 years ago

If it were my space, I'd add a runner between the the island and wall of cabs to add softness and a little color. I would also add a large rug as suggested to the family room. Being that most everything is dark or brown or wood, I'd use upholstered chairs for your banquette. I like the pendant chandy the best.

Also, I think the windows need some soft fabric like roman shades, curtains or a mix. You can add a piece of art to the left blank wall space where there isn't a window at your banquette.

Also, some lamps would look great in your living room.

These are just things I'd do. You have a lovely space! I look forward to seeing what you decide.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Duplicate. Sorry.

This post was edited by aktillery on Wed, Dec 31, 14 at 7:05

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

Your natural light situation is similar to ours. I have yet to embrace the "undressed" window. When we purchased this home there were brand new white vertical blinds on all the open concept main floor windows. They have never been something I would purchase, but alas have come with two of the homes we chose. The issue we had is one your pictures accentuate. At night you end up with the large BLACK holes in your room that suck the light right out. If you live in a cold climate and depending on the integrity of your windows you may also be losing heat through them each evening. What to do? Throw perfectly functional window coverings out--that aren't NEEDED anyway or work with them? The black holes do not bother us--until we are entertaining. Our solution was to hang wooden valances over all the widows and install stationary panels to cover the verticals and add some color to the room. When we want to cover the black holes the verticals are there--but 99.9% of the time I don't have to see them. If you don't NEED the usual function of curtains/shades perhaps something purely decorative is the way to go--to add some color? To my eye your banquet is screaming for some sort of a valance. Some color along with the cushion would be lovely. Is the banquet able to be shifted into the windows so they line up? I am not sure how window treatments would look with the banquet so out of alignment with the window. Your options may only be singles set into each pane.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

You've done a nice job with everything so far.

If it were my space, I'd be looking to add some color. I'd paint a rich color on the wall in the nook, the color of which would come from fabrics I'd pull for the windows and cushions. I'd be looking for at least 3 coordinating fabrics...window treatments in the nook, in the FR and then in the cushions. Once you add some pattern and color to the space, the dark furniture will be less of an issue...then add some throw pillows on top to bring it all together.

I'd get a large area rug to help define the FR area. I'd get a floor lamp to put by the print chair in the FR and then either a single lamp on the end table by the sofa, or get a sofa table behind the sofa and put 2 lamps on it.

As the windows have no trim, I think inside mount roman shades would be fine.

I'd start with fabric, or as you have a large wall space in the bk nook, a piece of art from which to pull the colors.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here for example is one color way....a stripe for the seat cushions, a print for the roman shades in the nook, and another print or stripe for coordinating roman shades in the FR. I pulled a piece of art that would go with the whole thing. I think the idea is to set a color scheme for the whole area, but emphasize, eg the red in the nook and the gold in the FR, so it all goes, but the spaces each have their own look and feel.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

A few more thoughts..........bamboo or Roman shades & some art or objects on the blank wall in the kitchen.

If you add enough color and texture to the shades and the objects, there won't be any reason to add a paint color to the walls.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Here's another color way emphasizing the green. I'd probably put the multi-colored geometric in the FR windows....

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

And just because I am in my purple phase...

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Agree with the other posters re window treatments, etc. I'd like the add that when you hang your new light fixture over the table that you hang it lower than your existing fixture. Lovely rooms though.

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

Beautiful home - all those gorgeous windows. Of the two light fixtures, I think the black goes much better in your space than the brass does (& I like brass). You have received great suggestions from everyone, and great mockups by Annie. I agree with Beverly27 - the bay window needs a large artwork to balance it with the windows. I think I would start there - find art that you LOVE, and then select the other components. (This is do as I say not do as I do, because of course I went the other way and then ended up picking art to coordinate with what was already in the room,)

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I ordered the light, and I took everyone's great advice and have selected a couple of items for the kitchen and family room. I now have a better idea of what I am looking for now but need some more input.

In regards to the banquette area, I ordered four chairs from Ethan Allen, selected a fabric for faux Roman Shades and banquette seat, have one option that coordinates for pillows but I am not necessarily in love with, and am deciding between two pictures to go on the wall. Which picture do you think works better?

We ordered these chairs without arms with the shown fabric on the seat. We would put the same fabric on the banquet cushion. Also shown in the picture is striped fabric which is an option for pillows and the roman shade fabric is in the background.
    {{gwi:2142627}}

A picture of the fabric next to the banquet:
    {{gwi:2142628}}

Here are the two picture options I am contemplating.
    Option 1 with or without mat- about 42" x 42"
    {{gwi:2142629}}
    {{gwi:2142630}}

Option 2: about 48" by 48"
    {{gwi:2142631}}

Here is a mock picture on the wall which is 42" x 42" on the wall. Pictured on the windows is a mock size of faux roman shade which are 21", 33", and 27" from left to right mounted about 10" above the top of the window. I think a finished length of about 27" is what I will do but it is still up in the air. Any input on which length to use?

{{gwi:2142632}}

I picked a rug for the family room but haven't decided on window treatments. Here is the rug I ordered with one option for panels and two options for fabric for chairs which will go in front of the panels. The second picture is a second option for fabric for panels.
    {{gwi:2142633}}

{{gwi:2142634}}

I ordered this picture to go on the opposite wall from the panels and have a mock up of it on the wall along with an idea for size for more items to go on the wall. I don't know what else I will put on the wall with the picture. It is a walk path behind the love seat so it can't be anything that sticks out too far.
    {{gwi:2142635}}

{{gwi:2142636}}

If anyone has any thoughts on things so far, I would love to hear them. Your input last time was extremely helpful!

Below are a couple more pictures of the rug and fabric:
    {{gwi:2142637}}

{{gwi:2142638}}

{{gwi:2142639}}

{{gwi:2142640}}

• jlc712
    9 years ago

You don't need help, you're doing a wonderful job! :-)

I like the option 1 pic without a mat. I like the 27" blind. I like the chair fabric on the right, and the 2nd option for panel fabric.

It's going to look great. I hope you'll post pics when you're done.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You have really great taste, I think.

Regarding the breakfast nook, I'd actually do the stripe on the chair seats and that leaf-pattern fabric you have for the FR chairs on the bench cushion;

Artwork, Definitely option 1, with a deep brown matte, then a thin cream matte, then the frame;

FR panels: option #2. Gorgeous. And it is perfect with the rug. The herringbone is nice but kind of blah, I think.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I'm not so sure you will be happy with a solid on your breakfast nook cushions unless it is a stain-resistant fabric. I do like the stripe and it just looks more durable in the photos. It would be nice piped in one of the contrasting colors too. Love the rug, and I like the leaf pattern fabric for the panels. Or the one on the right if you go neutral. I think I like the longest length for your faux roman shade, as it allows more of that pretty pattern to show.

• msrose
    9 years ago

I'm going through a "blue" phase right now, so I love your choices, especially the rug. Can you tell me what paint color you used? It looks like a great neutral.

• kristinekr
    9 years ago

I like your selections!

For the artwork, I would definitely go with option 1. I don't have a strong preference one way or the other as far as the mat.

I am not good at visualizing a chair or curtains from a piece of fabric--so I am no help, but the swatches are pretty.

I really like your kitchen--everything flows so well. I am partial to white cabinets, but I really like the grain of the wood in your kitchen, and the granite is beautiful!

You will have such a peace and calming area when you are finished.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

Pardon me but I will go with your husband's choice. It looks so classic and reminds about the glorious Victorian era. Moreover, it will throw light in the projected form so this will accentuate the interiors also.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Hmmmmm. I don't know that her home and furnishings lean toward Victorian.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

i much prefer the chandy that your husband likes- the Collins chand...
    love your granite and your colors. the fabrics all look great with rug and furnishings.
    i also don't think i would choose the solid with all the possible choices for seat fabric... i would choose something that has alittle more texture or sl color variance, even if it's just a bit...something alittle tweedy or something...

• Gracie
    9 years ago

In the banquette area, I don't think either of those paintings work with the softness of the Roman shade fabric--it would be very jarring. However, I prefer the fabric with the rounded leaves and would love to see something like that for the shades. It's richer in color and pattern. Browns, blues, and creams are my favorite colors, but it feels so sedate and monotonous with just the three muted colors. More texture and pattern would bring some life to the rooms without going color crazy. I'd try to inject a little of that deep teal in the rug into fabrics and art. Maybe that stronger teal is needed to balance out all the dark brown.

• powermuffin
    9 years ago

I think Annie has the right idea. You have a lot of brown in both rooms. The addition of blue or green would bring the decor up a notch, imo. At the very least, I would use a fabric with a bolder design for the window shades, incorporating a blue or green color.
    Diane

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Love all your choices and the color pallette you've chosen! The only thing I would consider changing is the solid color on the chair cushions. Just one crumb of anything with the slightest bit of oil in it will show as much as if it were a drop of red wine~ that would be my only concern. Good luck!

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback and kind words everyone. The Visual Comfort chandelier was ordered a while back and showed up yesterday. It will hopefully go up tonight and I will post pictures if it does.

I have read a lot of comments about no solid on the banquette cushion or chairs. Does your opinion change if you know that it is a Sunbrella fabric? I definitely understand the point about staining hiding more in a pattern. What would you think of the solid on the chairs and the pattern I posted on the banquette cushion?

Unfortunately I purchased all of my furniture about 10 years ago when I just picked out what I liked and didn't necessarily think about how dark it was or how it went together. I definitely regret the amount of dark items purchased now that I am older and wiser. ;-) I am thinking about switching out the end table to what is pictured below but in a color called mushroom, which is the second picture.

Table
    {{gwi:2142641}}

Color
    {{gwi:2142642}}

I in general like more muted colors but want my room to look good and polished so I am not against more vibrant colors. I had been looking at these pictures on the bottom left and bottom middle as an option for on the wall with the water scene in the family room. They have that teal in them that is found in the rug. Do you think they would work well on that wall? The two other mock sizes on the wall with the big picture are the size of these pictures. I just wasn't sure about mixing picture styles on the same wall.

{{gwi:2142643}}

Thanks again for the input!

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a better picture of the color of the end table with the rug and one of the fabric options for the panels and the herringbone fabric option for chairs.
    {{gwi:2142644}}

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would art like this work better in the breakfast nook?
    {{gwi:2142645}}

• grapefruit1_ar
    9 years ago

Your home looks beautiful! I love your rug choice.

I am not able to tolerate bare windows at night. It would be creepy to think that someone COULD be out there looking in. But...I also like lots of light coming in. I have fabric window treatments at the windows, and there are pleated shades on them, too. At night we simply pull the shades down. During the day they are completely up so that you do not see them at all.

I am anxious to see how your rooms come together....lovely!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

If you're looking to add color, you should consider painting the backs of the built in bookcases or even papering them.

• chloenkitty
    9 years ago

I love your kitchen, it's gorgeous! My first choice is a green then blue. Good luck, can't wait to see after you get cushions.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the vase of flowers is too vibrant. All that is needed somewhere is small touches of a deeper color. The other art is pretty but it contributes to the feeling that it's all blending together.

The shade fabric feels bedroomy and at odds with your hickory cabinets and rich leathers. The rug also has a formal, bedroomy feel and reads green compared to your other fabrics. Some of your fabrics look blue and some look blue/green, so I'm not sure what the main color is. I feel like you need a larger graphic somewhere to break up the solids, so maybe a more modern rug would help. Small or soft patterns read solid, and look how much solid there is.

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still need to finish reading through all of the recent posts but I wanted to show a picture of the light fixture we put up tonight. It is 33" from the top of the table to the bottom of it. I think it looks too high but am not sure. What do you think? If it looks a little crooked it is because the chain is just looped right now. After we decide what height we want it, we will cut the chain. Also, there are only 3 of the 6 light bulbs in it as we did not have enough at home.

{{gwi:2142646}}

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

k9arlene - thanks for the suggestion. I will keep that in mind when I tackle the bookshelves. Right now they have not been paid attention too at all.

may_flowers- What type of pattern do you think would work better on the windows in the breakfast nook? I like the homey feel of the pattern but can see how it may not go best with the cabinets.

The rug was already ordered and it is the one thing I love so it is going to end up in the family room. The rug reads more green-blue but sometimes it looks blue-green depending on the light. Most of the blues I have picked out lean towards the blue-green spectrum so I thought it would all go okay together but I am an engineer by degree and thinking style and decorating is hard for me. My brain just doesn't work that well with colors and decorating without lots of researching, looking, and asking for help.

I went and looked a fabric two more times and keep getting drawn into similar styles. Here are picture of two more options.

{{gwi:2142647}}

{{gwi:2142648}}

I am leaning towards the one with the geometric pattern which is on the left in the first picture. It looked better farther away than the one on the chair in the first picture but that one could work too. Which one do you all think would work best? Do you all think one of these works better than the blue one with the vine pattern on it? Should I keep looking?

Thanks again for the help.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

The rule of thumb on chandeliers is 30 - 34 (some say 36) inches above the table. Yours looks a smidge high to me, but I think a lot depends on how it feels in the room in real life.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Love the fixture!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

My favorite for the banquette shades is the leaf, but it's blue, not green like the chair fabric. I like how the browns tie in with the cabs and banquette, and I like the bolder pattern because it's more contemporary and fun. Are the cabs knotty alder? Very pretty. The leaf, being an organic motif, works good with the cabs IMO. So I'd look for something like it in the soft green. Or something with texture to hold its own against the wood. That medallion style one (the large sample) looks like a duvet cover or a 1930s cotton house dress. I just wouldn't use it for a window treatment.

The new fabrics seem too formal for a family room and add a solid block of color to a room already dominated by the leather and wood furniture.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I like the fabric that has the Jesus fish design. I am thinking you like things subdued. The Moroccan pattern is more bold, as is the leaf print. I also like that the fish design fabric has a whitish color on it. I think you should have some more of the whitish color just because of all the white painted wood in the built ins. I think you should continue looking for fabric for the shade.

• kidrowlam
    9 years ago

I am very much impressed with your lighting fixtures. It will project light in one direction without dispersing at least it seems so from here. A rug with earthy pattern will match extremely well with these interiors.

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

Your kitchen and livingroom are gorgeous. Completely off topic, but we are building a home and could you give me the measurements of your beautiful fireplace? We are looking for one similar. Also, do you know the name of your kitchen paint?

• Gracie
    9 years ago

It's interesting that you do like the subdued, formal, feminine patterns, but everything else has a very solid masculine look. I think you have to work with what's not replaceable--the kitchen and banquette cabinetry. Has the EA designer seen photos of your home?

I think kswl and Annie have a good handle on fabrics. Maybe you could message them and ask for their opinion.

• msrose
    9 years ago

" I am an engineer by degree and thinking style and decorating is hard for me."

Don't kid yourself. You're doing great!

I love the mushroom colored furniture, but I would do everything else first. Once you get the room together and add some more color, you may decide what you have works fine. My mother has brown leather sofas with the same color table and a similar color floor.

I love the two pictures in the grouping so much. In fact, I think the whole group would look gorgeous if you had a place to put it. Can you tell me where you found them? I agree the picture of the vase is too vibrant.

The rug is still my favorite, so that was a good place to start.

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

msrose - the pictures in the grouping are from Ethan Allen

May_flowers - the EA designer has been out to the house. Maybe I will end up with using that fabric in our bedroom. Thanks for the suggestion of who to message. I will give them a try to get their insight.

Zorros - I will measure when I get home I will take measurements. I can't find the paint color name right now but will post that later too. It was a Benjamin Moore color.

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Zorros - the stone area on the fireplace is 66" wide by 43.5" tall. There is 6" of stone between the floor and the bottom of the insert, 12.75" of stone above the insert to the white molding (if that is the correct term), and about 12" of stone on either side of the insert. The molding is about 8" wide on either side, and there is about 16" from the top of the stone to the top of the mantle. If you need any more measurements, please let me know.

• msrose
    9 years ago

Did you by any chance find the paint color?

• isixpacku
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know for sure the trim color is Simply White. I am 90% sure the wall color is Elmira white. The ceiling is 50% of the wall color. We are having a meeting with our contractor on Tuesday and he is supposed to have the paint info then. All of the paint cans just say color match and not the name. I can't find the samples I purchased of the wall two wall colors I tried. I will post an update Tuesday evening. I will also try calling the Sherwin Williams store.