SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Me Again (layout/permitting/etc)

Carrie B
9 years ago

So, no, I have not yet gone to the city office of permits to find out about building a window and/or door that faces out onto my second/adjoining property. I'm hoping do so the next time I can get a full weekday off to go there (I've been told to expect to spend at least four hours there.)

I got the wise advice here that I should go there BEFORE finalizing a layout/design so that I can know what I need to do to get the permits needed - if I can even get them.

So, that leads me to the next question - I have my KD's plans, that would involve adding a window and a door to that wall, but, as I've mentioned here - I'm having significant doubts about that layout (in part due to the input I've gotten here.) Should I bring that plan to the City even though I don't know if I'm going with it? If I don't bring that plan - do I just ask the City official what steps I'd need to take if I were to add a window and/or door to that wall (kind of a hypothetical "just in case"?)

I'm attaching a link to a basic layout that I love (though I'd move the range to the right hand wall, move the sink farther back on the run, and then the range off to the right of the sink several feet, after a DW, at least) and really think WOULD work in my space. Oh, and I think - with my modifications - it even complies with Marcolo's: "Ice. Water. Stone. Fire." Right???

Obviously, this plan involves major window/door structural changes to the back of the house (same property, so not the same complex permitting issues) and preferably a window (though maybe just a small one) over the sink (which would be to the adjacent property, & therefore would involve permitting issue.)

It's the first layout I've seen that I've been excited about. I might even be willing to stretch my budget for this one! Just for reference, I have about 8' of wall space on the left hand side, and about 12' on the right. The width of the kitchen is about 12' - about a foot wider than the inspiration photo.

Thoughts on permitting stuff and/or layout would be humbly & gratefully appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration Photo

This post was edited by carrieb on Mon, Dec 15, 14 at 19:32

Comments (34)