SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Kitchen done (almost)

User
9 years ago

I give in. I want to show pics. It’s still not my ideal kitchen, but we’re very happy with it. I think the new stain color better goes with the counters and flooring, and I feel the overall look better fits with the rest of the house.

The ss appliances will hopefully be here in a few weeks. (GE Café)
{{gwi:2140101}}

We’re going to install two of these over the island.
{{gwi:2139942}}

The backsplash is just primed. I wanted to paint it the wall color ½ strength, but they couldn’t get the sample right and my custom attempt isn’t going great. Even though there’s white in the counters and floor I think white splash will be too stark once the stainless arrives. Thoughts?

I put our original antique brass hardware back up for now. I like it fine, but may change to satin nickel once the appliances are here. As much as I visually like cup pulls, after living with the last hardware for over a year DH and I were still grabbing the drawers from the top so we’re going to stay with a pull.

I’m working on making the roman shade out of the toile. The plaid is on the chairs. The fabrics are hard to photograph. They’re more rust red. A brighter rust, but not pink.
{{gwi:2140102}}

We added wood panels to the sides of the cabinets because I didn’t want opaque stain and figured they’d end up streaky if I didn’t. (Bought from Lowes in their stock cabinet section.) We also added slightly larger crown. I did finish (both stain and poly) the crown and end panels to match the existing cabinets first. I’m not sure if it really made a difference for the gel stain colors all matching, but I wasn’t taking any chances. You can’t tell they were added later.

The trim needs attached to the island yet. I’m SO GLAD I didn’t paint the island. I’d like to add simple wood corbels, but don’t feel like staining anything else for awhile and think it looks ok for now without.

Before:
{{gwi:2140103}}

After:
This is the most accurate shot of the stain color. I feel the whole space looks better IRL.
{{gwi:2139940}}

{{gwi:2140104}}

{{gwi:2140105}}

The wall/art - I’m not done. The new chandelier is 30” from the table and actually lower than the old one. I like the height IRL, but in photos I feel it should drop at least 6”. Oh well.

{{gwi:2139941}}
{{gwi:2140106}}

Details - lots of em.

WALL COLOR
BM Shaker Beige and I really love it. I painted my LR this color too, but it looks completely different. My kitchen color matches the chip and sample. My LR color is darker and definitely more pink or ‘fawn’. The LR paint looked a little off when they mixed it, but I left it alone that day for whatever reason. The true Shaker Beige in the kitchen looks more neutral for sure.

*Picasso paint brush is the BEST. I've always used Purdy and this is noticeably way better. Was given a free (2") from my hardware store because they were having issues mixing the paint. I had the owner and two other people rave about this while there. It's an 'angled oval' and cuts in like no other. Cleans out very well and easily.

Painted the walls after staining cabinets. Even after cure time, I choose not to use even delicate tape because I didn't want to take the chance of it bleeding. I used the brush to cut along the end cabinets and crown moulding and it was so easy.

GETTING STARTED
I removed all the doors and hinges (before prepping them) and set up in a spare room and covered the (carpeted) floor with large drop cloths. Set up a table and brought in a space heater to keep the temperature adequate. Before I did the topcoat I removed the drop cloths and replaced with new ones. I had no issues with lint. I followed their directions and kept in close communication with GF. I dealt with Sheryl who was very helpful and super fast at responding (email). Again, follow their prep directions and you need to plan if you're using water or oil base top coat BEFORE you start because the cleaning prep is different for each. There is also a different prep process for finished cabinets vs. raw wood. I'm not sure if it's on their site, but Sheryl from GW emailed both to me. The sand/scuffing took longer than I though. I went through almost a whole pack of 400 grit sandpaper.

I used Famowood wood filler for nail holes. It comes in different wood grains and stains beautifully. Ordered from Rockler when I ordered stain. It dries FAST. Keep the container closed. Put a tiny amount in plastic bag and cut small hole in corner to squeeze out. (Only wood filler I've ever found to actually take stain.)

STAIN
General Finishes gel stain in Brown Mahogany (oil based). I wanted to see the grain and ended up with three thin coats, front and backs, with a foam brush. Not all foam brushes are created equal. The only ones I liked and could use were from my local hardware store. I even told the owner,”these are the best brushes in all the land.” The other ones were too flimsy and even would spin around the base or come apart.
YMMV
{{gwi:2140107}}

I did 24 doors, 10 drawers, 8 ends, cabinet… shell/boxes (?), crown, and a 6’x3’ island. I used a quart and a little out of a new one.

Stir often. I dumped some in a (small deli) plastic container and kept the quart closed. You can REUSE YOUR FOAM BRUSHES a few times if you put them in a plastic Ziplock bag. I would work on this when I could; sometimes multiple times a day. I was going through brushes like crazy at first. I could usually get three days or so out of a brush when storing in a bag.

Very easy to work with, but I completely underestimated the time involved with this project. I had planned to work on it in the evenings and quickly saw that wasn’t going to work. The backs of the doors, for one coat, took three hours. First coat on island took three hours (love you beadboard). I spent many, many hours working on this. Don’t underestimate how long it takes. I have no idea how people were pumping kitchen projects out in a week or two. I also can’t imagine not taking the doors off without having an uneven mess around the hinges.

I believe I would have had to apply 5 or 6 thin coats to go totally opaque. I posted here after two coats and people seemed to like it, but DH and I just were not happy with the look until I hit three. I was afraid I’d lose seeing any grain if I added another coat, but that wasn’t the case. I felt it looked like DIY job with less than 3, but I’m also pretty particular and critical of my own work.

TOP COAT
General Finishes High Performance (HP) (water based). You need to wait at least 3 days before you can apply the water based over oil. I did 4 coats on everything - two in Satin and two in Flat. There are three different top coats from GF you could choose from for over the gel stain. I noticed lots of people commented the Gel Top Coat in Satin was very shiny. After talking with GF, they said the HP in Satin had the least sheen. I ordered the Satin and was floored at how shiny it was so I ordered the Flat. After testing two coats each on the back of doors the Flat looked Satin to me. (Test TWO coats - they look almost the same with only one.) I didn’t feel like sending back and knew whatever the last top coat you use will be what your final sheen is. I doubled checked with GF to see if I could layer them and got an ok. I also didn’t want to take the chance of cloudiness with the flat (since there was a good bit of sheen I don’t know that it would have been an issue here). You can put the doors back up after a week of the last coat and in two weeks they should be cured.

This is also really easy to work with. Leveled out perfect and took way less time than the stain. You don’t want globs, but you don’t have to overwork. For time comparison the backs of the doors took a little over an hour for one coat. I used about 2/3 out of each quart.

You can reuse your foam brushes here by washing them since it’s water based. They eventually get worn so I did go through a few. I used a medium size plastic deli container and kept the lid on between reloading the brush. Stir often.

SANDING between top coats
BE CAREFUL! After proper dry conditions/time I tested with 400 grit (one of the recommended grits) and went partially through the stain while barely applying pressure. Thankfully this was the back of a door.

I asked GF if I could wait to sand until after two coats - they said yes and to use a ‘foam backed sanding sponge’ and "most are 320 or 220 and if they don't have a heavy grit they should be good." I wouldn't use 220 as the container doesn't suggest it. (The container does not suggest 220.) I still am not 100% sure what that is and didn’t ask. I know what a foam sanding block is, but pictured disaster while trying to sand the details of the raised panels. I had Ace fine Sanding Pad's from an old project that are thin, bendable, and would consider them a sponge. Couldn't find anything like that locally though. They weren't new and I only used one. You’re just lightly scuffing here. I still had to be extremely careful when sanding after the second coat. Just glide. Don't apply pressure. If you have any raised areas the sand paper will take it off down to the original wood. I was highly irritated about this.
Color looks oddly orange in this photo.
{{gwi:2140108}}

Maybe I did have lint or something here. I tried to touch those areas up with gel stain, but it wouldn’t cover or stick because there was already two layers of top coat. I left it alone so I didn’t create a huge mess. I have yet to contact GF to ask about touch ups. Edges are another place you need to really watch.

It appears to dry very hard as stated. The doors have been on for a few weeks now and I managed to drop/throw/accident! a glass container from the freezer and hit a lower cabinet door quite hard. There’s a tiny scuff, but didn’t remove any stain and I had to search to see anything.

There is supposed to be UV protectors in the top coat so I’m curious to see how it holds up. The sun did a number in some areas on the original finish.

Phew! I know I type a lot, but I hope this is helpful to someone!

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 11:05

Comments (60)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Really great! The darker cabinetry is a huge improvement, IMO.

A tip, re: SS appliances. US WD-40 to clean them. Or Pledge in the original brown can.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

Shee - the cabinets look fantastic! I love the fabrics too and can't wait to see the roman shade.

You did a GREAT job!!

• Related Discussions

#11 Done!

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Leasa! It's good to "see" you again. Your kitchen looks great, especially love the colors you've chosen as they are so warm & inviting, plus the door to the outdoor porch brings the outdoors in---just lovely! How long have you been working on this house, is this year two or three---? I've lost track of time. You've done an amazing job!!! Becky
    ...See More

Sapele kitchen, almost done...

Q

Comments (44)
    Well, what a nice surprise to run across this old post! I was just perusing GardenWeb and Houzz as we get revved up for another remodel, when a google search for “sapele kitchens” turned up this, my “almost-done” victory lap post. Please forgive me my moment of sentimentality, but reading through my post and the subsequent comments has me a bit verklempt; we are, as of this writing, only a few days away (probably) from committing to buy a new house, which means leaving this one, and our wonderful kitchen. Much has changed in the 5+ years since this post went up: The backsplash behind the range was installed; the rather wispy red Japanese maple that you can see in our backyard in a couple of the pics above is now pretty robust and magnificent; we had to say goodbye to our beloved boxer a few months back (our “first born”); we have a son, an amazing 16 month old,who has, of course, become the center of our universe; we are working on a sibling for him. With a growing family, and frequent visits from out of town grandparents, we are feeling a bit cramped in the home we thought we would be in long term. We found a new place in a lovely neighborhood, despite Seattle’s current crazy real estate market (after getting absurdly outbid on some places—like over asking by almost 25% of a big asking price in one case). It’s from 1907, was updated in the 70s and 80s, but needs a good overhaul. (I’ve tried to attach a couple of pics of the current kitchen but this interface limits comment size so much (~21k characters) that it seems that photos aren’t going to be an option. I’ll try to post some pics in comments to follow). It has served the current owners well over the last 45 years, but it is time for an update. It’s certainly a first world problem, but it makes me sad to leave our current kitchen after having put so much thought and energy into it, and after it turned out so beautifully. It has been such a joy to spend time in it. But the real reason I started writing this comment: I thought I would right two wrongs that I have just noted while reading through my original, ancient post: I never once acknowledged by name our architect, who played a primary role in bringing our current kitchen to fruition. His name is Andrew Borges, of Rohleder Borges Architecture (http://www.rb-a.net/), and he was fantastic to work with. So much so, that we are teaming up with him again for the next remodel. I never posted any photos of the backsplash behind the range, as I said (above) that I would do. I still really love the tile that we chose—an etched limestone (I think) with a repeating dahlia pattern. As I was looking at Andrew’s firm’s website just now, I realized that he has a pic of our kitchen with the backsplash in view so I have included that here too. Here is a link to the image, in case I can’t figure out how to post it here: http://www.rb-a.net/res-montkit1.html I suspect you’ll hear from me again soon, as I query the collective GW wisdom on this new project. And in 6 months or so, our current home (kitchen included) will likely be hitting the market, just in case any of you might be interested....
    ...See More

almost done!! amazing kitchen task [pictures].

Q

Comments (19)
    akchicago the backsplash at the cooktop is tiles of carrara marble. the backsplash at the bar area is "pietra dell'essere" by Impronta .. of course italian company. The whole kitchen is handleless but when I design the kitchen I suggested to the owner with gaggenau/thermadors columns take have handleless look. But when the client went to a famous BIG appliances store in Chicago area the sales man sold to her the subzero fridge. :-( .. so unfortunately I couldn't changed the client idea. lisadlu the lights under the wall unit are halogen but I have a trick! to hide them ;-) Emily_mb yes the 2 dishwashers are also handleless.. the kitchen is designed to have a groove between countertop and cabinets and there is a recess to grab the dw door. if I find a picture I will posted.
    ...See More

New kitchen is done (well, almost!) PICS!

Q

Comments (35)
    Beautiful. I always love a white kitchen with black (orb) hardware. Your countertops & floors are both gorgeous. Now that you've teased us with this, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest. I, too, remember your hood post & the arch looks perfect.
    ...See More
  • Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh Shee, it looks lovely. You did an amazing job. I am sure you are really anxious to get your appliances and lights in!

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Hey girl! YOU DID IT! I remember all the inspiration stains you showed us in the past and you really, really got it RIGHT! You are the Project Research Queen of 2014! Love your fabric and lights and can't wait to see the backsplash painted.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

love the darker cabinets!!! you did a great job! with the stainless appliances, they'll really look beautiful!

I might have already mentioned this, but will say it again... I would think twice about the pendants you are planning to hang over the island... they are gorgeous and I love the style, but with the clear glass you will see every speck of dust, etc that gathers in there and with the closed bottom, it will probably be difficult to clean... the house we are in now has a very large lantern like fixture over the front stairs that has clear glass sides and is entirely open on the bottom... the dust is driving me crazy but I haven't been able to clean it yet because the large little giant ladder I have ordered still is on backorder!!! (being purchased in part just for this chandy!) arrgghh!

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

I'm so glad busybee mentioned the lights - I was afraid to burst your bubble but she is absolutely right about the difficulty in keeping them clean. Beautiful as they are, they will be dust and bug catchers - in the spring and summer so matter how hard you try to keeps bugs out they always find a way in and little gnats and moths will be drawn to the light. I had an open top light like that in a hallway and there always seemed to be a bug graveyard in the bottom!!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I bow down to you in total admiration! A few years ago I tried staining our pecan bedroom furniture and got so frustrated I gave up and painted it white.

Your kitchen looks great...congratulations on all your hard work!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

That really looks great! Good job!!!

I think the hardware you have on the cabs right now looks great, much better than satin nickel would look :)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Love what you're doing with the kitchen, but I don't get keeping the finish on the table, chairs & buffet or keeping the existing rug. The new fabric appears to clash with the finish on the chairs & doesn't look good with the burgundy of the rug.

I would try to find dark chery, oval backed counter stools to coordinate with your total look & continue the fabric on the counter stools. Keep the black confined to the hardware & trim and don't bring it onto the furniture. Just my opinion.

This post was edited by beverly27 on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 11:24

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I really admire you. You had a vision and worked hard to achieve it, on a budget, with a young child at home. The cabs look fab and the paint is such a great light neutral. It's so nice of you to post in detail your experience with gel stain. I would put it in another post in Kitchens with a title that is searchable.

I agree what others said about the lights. Not just the bugs and dust, which is collecting in my uplights as we speak, but they feel too dominating for the room.

I'm also with Beverly about the rug. It's too formal now, and the color and pattern conflict with the casual feel of the plaid and dogs and beadboard. Just keep moving in that direction and it will all come together. Job well done!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Sheilaaus - It is awesome, right!? It looks very neutral and the picture aren't showing it accurately. I would say Shaker Beige or Manchester Tan are pretty good go to neutrals if you’re unsure.

Tueday- Yes, it’s been a long time. I did tons of researching and analyzing with this and I wish people would have provided more info. about their projects. We planned to do it a year before I actually started (wanted to wait because I thought I would hate having the white appliances until we could get the ss.) I showed DH pictures of the before and after and his response to the before was,”ew, yuck.”

Forboystoo - Oh good call, that would be GREAT if that had something like that.

Beverly - I like the rug you posted.
    "but I don't get keeping the finish on the table, chairs & buffet or keeping the existing rug."
    I don't want everything stained dark. What would you change the table and chair finish to? I can't picture paint. I also have 'natural' wood roman shades on the patio doors that aren't shown (they have dark brown running through them). The buffet belonged to my Grandma, has sentimental value, and I like honestly like it as is.
    There might be a better rug out there, but it's not in the budget currently. There are actually a lot of colors in my current rug. There's a similar rust color and the plaid fabric as has green blue and gray that also appear in the rug quite a bit and help pull it out. I also feel the burgundy works in general because of the cabinets being so dark.

The hundi light.
    For years I’ve always really loved it, but never considered it before because of the cleaning issue. I keep telling myself it will be ok. That I can keep up with it and even maybe use a can of spray air and rig up something I can run along the sides to dust without completely taking it down.

This was option 2 and I don’t love it near as much. It’s appears more lantern to me. I don’t want pendants and DH doesn't seem to care for chandeliers much (was looking at mini ones.) I remember him really disliking the vintage crystal chandy in the foyer at first.)
    {{gwi:2140109}}

After finding the above light, I ran across this photo while searching. There is no reference, but I believe it’s the same one.
    {{gwi:2140110}}
    If I'm being honest, I suppose I think light #2 goes a tad better with the chandelier because of the lines and the ball.

Yes, I know I mentioned it above, but I can’t stress enough how much I underestimated how much time this was going to take. The first few days I made great strides, but worked almost all night. I quickly realized that wasn’t going to work. I took a needed break around Christmas. While I wanted the cabinets done, it honestly bothered me more that I was missing a lot of family time - not family functions but everyday family time. Many nights I could hear the rest of my family having fun and I was stuck back in my hole working on cabinets. It just got a point where they needed done. I was originally planning to do 7 top coats on the doors and it went from 7 to 5 to 4 and I was done.

Maybe I'll keep the current hardware. I'll have to see how I feel when the appliances arrive.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 15:46

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - Posted at the same time.
    I think I'll wait until everything's done, done to post a finished photo with the tips and suggestions.
    I was thinking the hundi lights wouldn't feel too dominating because of the clear glass. They are pretty big though.
    I agree the rug is pretty formal. I actually kind of like the mix.
    Another thing about a rug is I'd like a rectangular one, but in order for it to be the right size for the chairs to pull out and still be on it, I think it will hit the hutch. I remember having issuing finding a rug the first time around.

I'll keep it in mind about the rug, but it'll have to wait for now unless I stumble upon something meant to be while out and about.

Decorating really is never all done. :) I've been thinking how I want to change up the laundry room (which is near the kitchen area). I'd like to add small upper cabinets to the ones already there as well as crown to take it to the ceiling. Repaint or possibly repaint the ceiling and wallpaper the walls! Just need more hours in a day.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 12:13

• Laurie
    9 years ago

It looks fantastic! The darker cabs with slightly larger crowns makes a huge difference. I like the wall color, too.
    Diy people will appreciate all the helpful detail you described in your post.

Seems like not so long ago you were posting about your nursery room projects. Doing your kitchen with a toddler is a real challenge. Congratulations on the results of all your efforts!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

The dining table and chairs are just too yellow to continue in this new scheme you have created. Take a look at some of the painted accent pieces I have assembled and see if they don't provide you with some inspiration.

Maybe the table wood gets stained and the chairs get painted so the set looks more interesting. I would paint the china cabinet with one color on the outside and a contrasting color on the inside to set off your dishes.

• User
    9 years ago

I can only agree 100% with everything already said---- including you being the project queen of 2014!

It takes a lot of perseverance to tackle a project like your cabinets and proceed so carefully with research beforehand but also allowing for trial and error as you go along. The end result is spectacular-----you've achieved the look you wanted on the budget you set, reusing good quality elements. I have a great deal of respect for that approach, not to mention your sewing skills, cannot wait to see that roman shade! And the new appliances! Your DH must be beaming I hope he realizes what an awesome accomplishment this is!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - Thanks for the photos. I did notice the finish could be better now in the chairs and hutch, but honestly was ignoring it and, so far, isn't bothering me IRL. I will say that the new stain looks more purple/red and dark in most of these photos which isn't accurate.

If I were giving advice for someone else I'd say what you're saying to me. I have no problem altering the table and chairs - they were free from a family member when we moved in. But I'm pretty sure I'd have to alter the hutch finish then or it would really look like I forgot, and I'm just not ready to do that.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 12:56

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I would also consider scaling up the size of your artwork in the room. Consider an over sized botanical in a blackish frame to coordinate with your other black accents.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I see what you mean about the lantern light being a good match. Where is that from?

How does this urn light compare to the one you posted? It's 10.5 wide and 24" long. It would obscure the dust and bugs, and I like the lighter beaded chain. The mercury glass might be a nice complement to the organza shades on your chandelier.

You can always find coupon codes online for Lightingdirect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quorum light

• sheetaliyer
    9 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! I am so impressed you did all this by yourself. You must feel such a great sense of achievement.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beverly - Looking back at those inspiration photos again. I do really like them, but interestingly they don't feel like me and I think would further domino effect the rest of the house. I'm usually not drawn to brighter colors, but felt with the cabinets being so dark it was a nice compliment to the room.

I like the large botanical art. I've been looking at some botanicals. I have some art in consideration that I was going to do a grouping, but I'm not sure that's going to even fill the width right. I have a landscape oil painting I considered using as the main piece and adding other art around. Darn big wall.

May - That lantern is from Overstock. Actually the first one I posted like the PB Hundi lantern is a look alike from Overstock. I have to run for now, but I'll post more about lights with dimensions and thoughts later. I'd like to keep the island lights under $350.

Thanks again everyone!

• User
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh - you did an amazing job!

The darker stain looks spectacular. I'm blown away that you did that by yourself too. Staining is one of those things that can totally look DIY....and not in a good way. You achieved professional looking results. Kudos for taking your time and doing it right.

Nice job Shee - so glad you posted pictures. :)

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Very, very nice! I look forward to seeing your backsplash all painted up soon, and hope that it goes quickly and smoothly for you. What kind of beadboard did you use, may ask?

• amck2
    9 years ago

I can see why you were excited to share. You've done a great job - huge undertaking to take on & it turned out so well! Look forward to seeing follow-ups with your new range & Roman shades.

• lovestowalk
    9 years ago

It looks absolutely wonderful!! You did an outstanding job. Thanks for sharing,

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - I do like that light. I like the detailing. I’m not 100% sure what I think of the mercury glass in my kitchen. I think I like it. It’s a little out of budget though.

The #2 lantern is 22.5”H x 12.5”W
    I don't know. There's just something about this one I don't love and I can't put it into words.
    {{gwi:2140109}}

They also have one that basically looks the same, but is slightly smaller at 10.5”H x 10.5”W

The first hundi style pendant I posted - shade is 11.5”D x 15”H
    Here’s a photo of the ones actually from Overstock.
    {{gwi:2140111}}
    Here is the Pottery Barn hundi (1/2" dimension difference) over an island that's 64" x 42". So my island is 8" longer and and 6"

[{{gwi:2140112}}[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/2012-vhba-winter-wonderland-of-homes-traditional-kitchen-phvw-vp~643772)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Appleton General Contractors Bradd W. Syring LLC - Custom Homes

Here’s a mini version of the first one. Overall 9.5”W x 59”H, fixture: 9.5”W x 18” H. Chain is 35.9” L.
    {{gwi:2140113}}

There’s another mini that’s giving me fits posting a pic that’s similar in dimensions.

I found one with wave & seeded glass, but it had the boob light detailing at the bottom in orb. Changed the whole look.

I like these from Overstock, but they were out of stock when I found them. They’re not even showing up when I search now.
    {{gwi:2140114}}

Love these (and this kitchen) and think they would look lovely in any finish. Don’t know anything about them, but they look out of budget, lol.
    {{gwi:2140115}}

Like the idea of a chandelier or two mini ones. Love how Beekeeperswife used a single chandy (I see she has cans too.) in her beautiful kitchen. DH might go for it if I could find the right ones, but I can’t seem to find anything that goes with the other chandelier.
    {{gwi:2140116}}

Here’s a photo I found that shows the island area a little closer. Btw, the white door is a pantry.
    Current island light is 36”W x 28.25”H. Each shade is 14.75”W. It’s hanging 32” from the island. Island is 6’x3’.
    {{gwi:2140117}}

It’s can be hard to tell how big something actually is sometimes even with measurements. Based off the dimensions I was concerned the new chandelier might be too big, but it’s actually visually smaller than the old one.

I'm open to suggestions, but I'm still leaning towards the original hundi style one.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 1:22

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Laughable - I'm sorry, I just realized I didn't answer your question. It's actually the, ahem... 4x8 sheets from Lowes. We had a piece of flat vinyl trim (looks about like a paint stir stick) attached along the bottom and I used 1/4" dowel rods at the ends and that small area by the sink between the cabinet and window trim to finish it off. (They need primed yet.) As far as water at the sink area, everyone says boo to that but I'm not worried about it. I'm also not concerned about cleaning it. I did discover they made ceramic tile beadboard, but I didn't want white so that was out. I didn't want tile because I also have the tile on the floor. I do wonder if I would have liked white subway tile with maybe brown grout. I also didn't want tile because of it trashing the drywall, but our carpenter used some type of super wazoo industrial glue that I'm sure it's not going to be pretty when we change it someday.

• joeymc96
    9 years ago

I have the light fixture you showed in the original post. I love it. The glass is not hard to take off and rinse out as needed. I bought my fixture from overstock also.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Love it all-- those textiles make my heart sing.

• laughablemoments
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for responding to my question, Sheesharee. I've been trying to figure out our backsplash, and have come to many of the same conclusions as you. But, DH wants us to use vinyl beadboard. Shhhh..... : ) He figures if that doesn't go well, then we'll take the next step when we get there.

• lam702
    9 years ago

I am so impressed with the beautiful gelstain job you did. I see so many java gelstain projects, and while they are lovely, the java is a bit too dark for my home. I've been looking for photos of finished gelstain projects in colors other than java, and then yours pops up. Amazing job, I can't imagine all the work involved. I am finishing up painting my bath cabinets white in my main bath, but I was debating whether to paint or gelstain the other bath's cabinets. I was leaning toward gelstain, but didn't want the opaque-ness of java. I was also concerned about the stain coming out uneven. Your kitchen is an inspiration to me, makes me lean even more toward gelstain. Nice job!

• kitchendetective
    9 years ago

Wow! Fabulous transformation. Great tutorial on stain. I love the stain color.

• jlj48
    9 years ago

Beautiful!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joey - I'm glad to hear your likes your lights and it's not that bad to clean. I saw others say in another thread they liked the lights more than they minded cleaning them often.

Laughable - I did consider the vinyl ones. I believe they will look nice and they're honestly probably a better option long term. And I looked at a lot of different trims for along the bottom, but last min. I changed to the flat one because I didn't want a projection from the wall.

Hpny - Oh, good. Glad to be an inspiration for your project. Gel stain! Gel stain! The Java looks painted to me in most applications, but have seen a few photos on samples where they only applied a few. I think it's a nice color and could be used the same as I did so that you see the grain. I ended up going with the Brown Mahogany because I felt the reddish tone went best with my counter and floors. I also wasn't brave enough to start messing with mixing colors. You wouldn't need much stain and if you don't like it, you can always paint. When the weather warms up, I'm going to strip my one painted bathroom vanity and gel stain it.

Oh general fyi, there are two sets of directions (prep is different) for gel staining over finished cabinets and plain wood. I'm not sure if it's on their site, but Sheryl from GF emailed me both instructions. I actually thought of quite a few other key points I need to go back and add above.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Wed, Feb 4, 15 at 11:40

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I would keep in mind that the ceilings in the photos look higher than 8' in a large open space with a lot of light coming in through large windows. I would mock up the lights somehow and attach them to the ceiling. I'm also not sure how mercury glass would look or if it changes the amount of light that falls on the island. I'd start a post for lights when you finish the window shades and beadboard paint and your new stove is in. Enjoy your accomplishments for now!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

May - I agree most photos of those lanterns have higher ceilings for sure. The last set of lights I posted, the first hundi photo - that looks like an 8' ceiling to me and I think I have some others saved. It probably would be good for me to do some type of mock up before.

• dollymibella
    9 years ago

I can relate to the not being able to wait, it's lovely! Bravo!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I found another photo of the Overstock hundi on the finishedkitchensblog. Her ceilings are 8'. Not sure of her island dimensions.
    {{gwi:2140118}}
    And again, the first pic.
    {{gwi:2140111}}

And here's another photo, I think, of the #2 Overstock lanterns. I like this angle better for whatever reason.
    {{gwi:2140119}}

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

sheesharee - I love your changes! Thanks so much for posting the staining info. This will help me if I decide to stain my lowers rather than paint them.

Could you share the link for the 2 photos just above that show painted cabinets? I have similar uppers with the arches and think these look really nice painted.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Your cabinets looks wonderful. I thought they were different cabinets until I saw the pic of the sponge brush. Great job!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Juddgirl - I added the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: AngAx's kitchen - Finished Kitchens Blog

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Thanks so much! I started trying to look through all the white kitchens to see if I could find it but there were more than a few :)

• teeda
    9 years ago

Sheesharee, I have the Overstock lanterns in my kitchen.
    My island is 8' x 3'. I originally wanted to use the Hundi style pendants, but did not due to the cleaning/maintenance issues referred to above. If you're comfortable with that, however, I think you should choose the lanterns you love.

I will add, though, that there are times that the clear glass shades and bulbs bother my eyes. It's not a problem when I'm standing in the kitchen, it's more when I'm seated in the sitting area at the other end of the room. It's very uncomfortable for me to look up at that light, so I usually end up turning them off. But I do love the way they look.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

hmmm, I would not have guessed that it is a simple thing to remove the glass from the pendants..... maybe it would be manageable if you could easily do that frequently? even if they do remove easily, I'm not sure I would want to be taking them down all the time...
    I really don't think the canned air would give the results you would want... dust in the kitchen, even if you conscientiously use your exhaust fan, is stickier than dust elsewhere!
    I prefer the looks of the hundi more the lantern... I would be more inclined to get a chandy... there are 2 over the island in the kitchen we have now and I like them! (they get dusty too--they're hung higher than a dining room chandy, but I think since I'm so often in the kitchen and standing near them I notice it more often-- and I'm by no means fussy! we had cans over island/sinks in previous houses so dusty pendants are new to me!
    I'm impressed that you will be ready to tackle another staining project in the spring! :)

• autumncolor5
    9 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Very time consuming but sooo nice. Thank you for posting the detailed instructions. I have golden oak cabinets and have thought about staining them.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WMA89 - Oh, thank you for the island size info and posting a photo of those lanterns. They look really nice. Your kitchen is really nice! Love the range/hood area and how the tile and everything goes all the way up.
    Would you mind telling me the height from your pendants to the island? And the dimensions read that they are 22.5" Hx12.5" W. Are they really 22.5"?
    Thanks for the heads up about the light being bright. It was also mentioned on O that you could remove the side glass. Do you think that would help the issue? Would the light look ok without it? Does the glass slide down in from the top? - I know lots of questions!

Busy - How high are your chandy's from your island?
    I don't think the can of air is going to be the answer either. It would probably be best to have help for taking it down to clean. I'm pretty good at rigging stuff up and making things work so I'm wondering if I can make a duster that I can run along the sides without taking it down as often. It wouldn't be a perfect cleaning, but it might make the time between thorough cleanings longer. This is what I keep telling myself!

I'll wait to order anything until the appliances are in and the splash is painted. I'll revisit the idea of the other lanterns and some chandeliers. I like the hundi style enough that I'm hoping this is that one thing that may require more effort, but I'm ok with it because I like them that much.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

the chandys' bottom most crystals are 33" from island (island top is 36" tall as compared to a tabletop at ~ 291/2"))... the 'ring' that the candles are on is ~ 43" from island top and the candle bulbs are ~ 491/2" from island top to bulb midpoint. our chandys are larger than your lanterns tho and our ceilings are 10'...
    (btw, the bare bulbs do not bother me at all- don't know if it's because of their ht- they are 60 watt and are on full bright basically all the time.)

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    9 years ago

You need to be proud of yourself, shee. Your determination and perseverance led to wonderful outcomes.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, what an amazing transformation and so great to see GF Brown Mahogany. I am sure that lots of people are eager to see that color in a kitchen.
    It's funny that it looks so much brighter, even though you went darker in your cabinets.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Hi Sheesharee, the bottom rim of my fixtures are 31" off the island top. The height of the lantern is approximately 17" from the top of the ball to the base of the lantern. They are approximately 10.25" wide. So not the same as the lantern currently being sold. I believe there may have been two sizes and I ordered the smaller. I tried to find the order in my Overstock account, but it only goes back 2 years and I think I purchased these 2.5 years ago.

I don't think I would like these with the glass removed. My issue isn't really with the glass on the lantern--it's more the clear light bulb. My eyes are sensitive to naked light bulbs, but opaque bulbs just wouldn't look right either!

Hope this info helps!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Busy - Thank you for the dimensions! I'm sure ceiling height plays a role with how high something should be.

Nosoccer - I was kind of sad to see the green leave. IRL, I really love how warm it felt and the depth of the color. Once the new color went on though I realized just how much light the green absorbed and no longer miss it!

WMA - Thank you! There still are two sizes being sold on Overstock. The dimensions were very helpful.

Thank you again everyone for the kind words! I'll post an update once the appliances are here.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor