SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frmrsdghtr_gw

Help - Do I have to honor the MCM design of a house?

frmrsdghtr
9 years ago

So we are seriously looking to buy a new home. We plan to buy first and then sell. We found a home with the right price and right location but it's nothing I imagined we would move into :). I have a couple of questions about it.
Here is the listing:

http://grar.com/property/mls/15002111

We absolutely need a large garage (3 stall for sure). Could we have an unattached garage with an MCM home? I really, really, want an island or peninsula - just somewhere to plunk a couple of stools at a counter. I think I could do that in this kitchen if I take down the overhead cabinets and extend or reconfigure the countertop (hopefully it's obvious you can tell what part of the kitchen I'm referring too).

If those things are possible - this could work for us. But I would need to buy all knew furniture, art work, everything to stay within the MCM design. I like MCM but don't own any of it.

Or would it be an option to de-MCM this home or is that a really bad idea?? I'm no pro but what screams MCM to me is the architecture, the carport, the entrance, the flooring and the furniture. I think it would be possible to get rid of the carport fairly easily - but would this ruin the appearance of the house? I think the entrance could stay. Different style flooring would totally change the look of the house as would other furniture. Could you pull it off as simply modern or rustic-modern? Thoughts please!

I absolutely love the raised ceilings, square footage (we need it for our growing family), open rooms, etc. Just wondering how this could work. Thanks for the ideas :)

Here is a link that might be useful: listing

This post was edited by frmrsdghtr on Sat, Jan 17, 15 at 23:53

Comments (19)