SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccamomof123

My kitchen 2 Years later. What I still love & what I don't

rebeccamomof123
9 years ago

I feel very very lucky to report that more than 2 years later, I still love my kitchen remodel as much today as I did 2 years ago. Probably because I listened to all the great advice from you all on GW. Everything has held up well in terms of quality and craftsmenship.

What I LOVE:
My double decker utensil drawer - I can store service for 12 in lunch and dinner sized silverware (plus serverware for both) in one single drawer.

My pull out spice rack next to my stove. I store all my cooking oils and spices right there, at the ready.

My open shelving - I feel like I can update the look of my kitchen at any time by how I diplay pieces here.

My window seat. Favorite spot in the whole house! Great for reading the paper with a cup of coffee, kids love to curl up here with their iPads while I'm cooking.

My lighting - all on dimmers: we went overboard with as many can lights as possible, plus pendants over the penninsula and sink. I love at night when the kitchen is "closed for business" that I can just dim the lights and it looks so warm and pretty.

What I DON'T love:

My under cabinet lighting - We probably spent about $1,500 to add these and I never use them. They are LED but NOT on dimmers, so they are really bright. I much prefer to have my pendants on dimmers and leave everything else off - much softer look.

My Backsplash. I went with a grey subway tile. It was inexpensive but I wish I had either had them isntalled in a herringbone pattern or used a glass subway or natural stone backsplash. They are okay...I just don't LOVE them.

y sink - it's a single Franke stainless. I really wanted a white farmhouse sink and my contractor talked me out of it...saying it would "date the kitchen to 2012". Wish I had done it anyway.

Anyhow - I hope that helps any of you agonizing over these decisions. In the longterm, it's really the quality of what you use and the floorplan that are most important to stand the test time.

Comments (38)