SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angela12345_gw

What kind of hinges do I need for this project idea that I have ?

angela12345
9 years ago

I was going to install a medicine cabinet on the side wall built in the wall in between the studs. Unfortunately, the studs aren't lined up well to my base cabinets. So, the medicine cabinet would be many inches further out than the front edge of the base cabinets and not look good. I've decided it isn't worth the effort to rebuild the studs in that wall to accommodate.

So, here is my new idea, which I think is Brilliant !! . . . On that same wall, I have a framed full length mirror. It is about 18 inches wide. And where I have it hung, it lines up perfectly to cover from stud-to-stud. I am going to cut open the wall behind where the mirror hangs and build in a full length medicine cabinet behind the mirror. So excited about this idea !!

So, my question is ... What kind of hinges should I use ? The mirror weighs about 15 pounds and is about 18" wide x 57" tall. There will be 1/2" of sheetrock between the stud and the mirror. I want to be able to screw the hinge into the stud and the frame of the mirror, hidden behind the mirror. The mirror will be the 'door' that opens into the storage space between the studs. I want it to look like a mirror just hanging there. I don't want a face frame on the wall, and I won't be building a box and installing in the studs. I will paint the interior and mount the shelves directly to the studs. Similar to this, but the frame on my mirror is a little wider and looks like a picture frame.

{{gwi:2139076}}

Comments (13)