SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viola13

Okna 500 v. Vytex Fortis v. Revere Berkshire Elite

Viola13
9 years ago

Hello there! You mesage boarders have been so helpful in my search for new windows I thought I would ask for your input on a few quotes I've recently received.

I need to replace 8 windows, including two sets of doubles and two windows with a tempered lower sash. All are about 31x59, white inside and out, double pane, Low-e and Argon, with no grids. Here are the best quotes I have so far:

$3700 for Vytex Fortis from a company with mixed reviews. A local consumer magazine has given this company high marks, but the internet reviews are more mixed.

$3,900 for Revere Berkshire Elites BarrierXP ThermD from a company with good reviews and a smattering of complaints.

$5,000 for Okna 500 Deluxes from a company with a stellar reputation. FWIW Thompson Creek has agreed to meet this estimate.

All these windows with the options I'm considering have basically equivalent U-Factors, and I'm happy enough with the look of all of them. There are some variations on warranties, but all are reasonably good.

Anyone have a recommendation for me? I've seen some concerns about The Berkshire Elites and the Vytexs, though I know Okna has also had some problems. Or is Thompson Creek offering me such a steal I would be mad not to take it?

Thanks for the help.

Comments (6)

• mmarse1
    9 years ago

Top of the list will be the okna followed by the vytex, the berkshire is a distant third. The berkshire cant even be offered in triple pane glass, not that you need it. That tells me the frame isnt that strong.
    As an aside, if you search hard enough, you can find something negative about any company. I always say to evaluate the general theme of the company.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

I think you know the answer and I agree with you.

• HomeSealed
    9 years ago

Persoanlly I'd toss the Berkshire, and the Thompson Creek has a pocket sill which is not ideal.
    That leaves the Vytex and Okna. The Fortis is a pretty good window, but the Okna rates better and would be my choice. The price is reasonable and the dealer sounds like a slam dunk. Easy choice IMO.

• Viola13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I took another look at the Vytex windows and was satisfied that they are a quality window. I also liked the installation company, whose rep was helpful and not at all pushy. Most of the negative feedback about that company related to rude salespeople, but that wasn't my experience at all.

Although the Oknas are clearly the best window, the improvement over the Vytex windows wasn't ultimately worth the additional $1,300 to me. I probably would have chosen them if the price differential was within $100 a window, but not $162.50.

• User
    9 years ago

The vytex window is solid. You did well.

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

Viola, keep in mind the magnitude and service life associated with this investment. This is a purchase that should last 30+ years, and you have one chance to make the right choice. $1300 over that time period is $43 per year! I think that I could find that in spare change in my couch.
    I do understand that $1300 upfront is a harder pill to swallow though.
    The Vytex is a fine choice. My main main concern is in your characterization of the dealer. Finding a company with a stellar reputation in this industry can be worth its weight in gold. Installation quality, service after the sale, stability, etc. Not saying that this is the case here, but most review outfits are very "business friendly", so mixed reviews may just show the tip of the iceberg.
    If you have not signed off yet you might give that a little more thought. If you have, hopefully everything works out. Perhaps you are making the right choice, just take your time to be sure.
    Please do post back with a followup.