SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elisabeth0326

Beamed Ceilings and Help on Awkward Layout

Elisabeth0326
9 years ago

Hi All,

I purchased an older home almost 4 years ago, and we just started to remodel the kitchen on a relatively austere budget (relative to a standard kitchen remodel budget). As such, we decided to keep the existing cabinets/doors, and I've been painting my little heart out for about a month.

I've now come to the point where I'm nearly finished painting, and the cabinets that are going to be replaced with open shelving are starting to come down, and the large pantry cabinets are being relocated to our basement to make room for a smallish (3'x7') stainless steel island.

I'll be hiring a contractor to do the lighting in the spring, and the thought process behind choosing my lighting is what has motivated my post. I'm left with a few questions in terms of the awkwardness of our layout that I'm hoping you all can help me with.

Here is what I'm currently working with (kitchen cabinet painting and removal to replace with open shelving is underway...and the Christmas tree is conveniently blocking 1/2 of the doorway--sorry about that).

{{gwi:2137400}}

My kitchen was renovated by the previous owners at the time when they built an addition onto the house, and this surmises the entire left portion of the house (it's also the left side of my rudimentary drawing below, and amounts to about a 20'Lx10'W' addition in total).

It appears that the previous owners (who designed the awkward layout) had a 4-top table under the ceiling fan in my photos, and used it in an 'eat-in' fashion. However, putting a table in that space essentially blocked the doorway to the sunroom (which is also to our side door, and the primary entrance into our house. I have since split my living room in 1/2 and created a dining area, which adjoins with the kitchen through a large open doorway (opening is roughly 8' wide). The doorway is barely finished--the seams were just covered by lumber and painted.

This is my proposed layout:

{{gwi:2137401}}

My 2 challenges at the moment (among many more, I'm sure):

1) How do I "marry" these 2 questionably repurposed spaces together? I can't figure out a way to make it flow together, and it's even more confused by the weird lumber-flanked transition/entryway from kitchen to dining/living room.

2) The previous owners installed a decorative ceiling beam in the kitchen (it spans from above the range hood to over the pantry cabinets), and it is such an eyesore. However, I don't necessarily have the money to remove it entirely because of the can of worms that taking it down may open. I'm anticipating that the ceiling seams are probably not great. I've been considering installing faux ceiling beams across the remainder of the kitchen ceiling, and even considered doing so into the dining area in order to unify the spaces. Too much? Is my ceiling too low for this?

The beam is visible in this photo:
{{gwi:2137402}}

I love this look, but there is an obvious advantage in this kitchen, since they have a tray ceiling.

{{gwi:2137403}}

The overall goals are to 1) create more seating/workspace in the kitchen via the island, 2) unify the kitchen and dining spaces, 3) brighten up the space as a whole, 4) update!

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Comments (18)