SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Bathroom remodeling tips for lazy housekeepers?

lkplatow
9 years ago

We are at the planning stage of a bathroom remodel -- no major changes, just refreshing the worn-out finishes (tiles are falling off the wall, etc.). I have been to several tile stores and am utterly overwhelmed by the choices.

I am basically looking to select floor tile, countertop material, and shower wall (and possibly ceiling) tile. The bath has a walk in shower and separate soaking/jacuzzi tub right now. I am keeping the walk in shower but am debating whether to convert from a drop in tub that sits in a tub deck to an old-fashioned clawfoot tub - we have rarely used the jacuzzi feature so losing it is not a big deal.

But here's the rub -- so many of the tile choices are beautiful stunning marble and other natural stone....that the tile store guys tell me has to be sealed every 8 months and cleaned with a special cleaner and etc. etc. I am lazy and disorganized. I KNOW I will not keep up with cleaning as often as I should, let alone sealing something on a regular schedule. And changing my toothpaste to one that doesn't etch marble countertops - ha! I'm lucky if I can get my kids to wipe toothpaste globs out of the sink, let alone make sure nothing touches the marble countertops.

So I am looking to select finishes that make my life easier, not more complicated. At the same time, I would like a vintage look - some kind of mosaic (maybe hex? maybe basketweave) tile on the floor. Subway or something similar on the shower walls. With gray colored grout probably because I am too lazy to scrub white grout, LOL! But I am wondering if all the grout lines in the subway tile and mosaics will drive me nuts and if I wouldn't be better off selecting a larger tile with smaller and fewer seams.

Basically, I am looking for recommendations -- are there any surfaces you have in your bathroom that you find particularly easy (or hard) to clean? For example, I was considering slate for the shower floor, but the rough surface looks like it might be a nightmare to clean. I was also considering a black hex tile, but am wondering about our hard water and whether it will show spots -- that kind of thing.

Similarly I am wondering if I convert to a clawfoot tub -- I suddenly have a lot of exposed but hard-to-reach tile under the tub -- I am picturing a constant battle with dust bunnies and dog hair. But if I go with another jetted tub, am I going to have issues with gross stuff building up in the jets (one of the reasons we rarely use our current tub is because we have to disinfect it with bleach before using it cause stuff seems to build up inside the jets.)

And finally, there's the issue of shower walls. The trend nowadays seems to be for all glass shower walls. I KNOW I don't like that -- besides the obvious cleaning and water spot issues for a lazy housekeeper like me, it would drive me nuts to feel like I'm showering out in the open like that. Our current shower is totally closed in by tiled walls except for a small gap above the glass door, which I like because it gives privacy and contains the steam and heat in the shower. But I think the "closed-in" ness of the shower also has contributed to mildewed grout because there's no air circulation to dry things after the shower. Assuming I don't want to squeegie and towel dry all the tile after every shower, is there any advantage to opening up the shower -- say maybe having tile walls that only go 6 feet up instead of to the ceiling -- to get better circulation? I will lose the heat-containment which would be a bummer, but I would sacrifice it for better longevity of the shower and less grout upkeep.

So any tips for me? I thought about posting this on the bathrooms forum, but you guys always have the best info! Thanks!

This post was edited by lkplatow on Wed, Jan 14, 15 at 10:04

Comments (34)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH