SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20102524

Help me pick living room furniture/layout

User
9 years ago

We redid our galley kitchen last summer and it highlighted how shabby our (adjacent) living room furniture. My Xmas gift is funds for a new sofa(s) and coffee table. Problem is, I'm not sure if I want to replicate the current set-up or go in a different direction.

The room is 12x20, with built-in cabinets and window seat at the far end. There are 3 doorways - to the kitchen, to the side yard & patio, and to the dining room. On that wall is a fireplace that is unfortunately a fake; someday we'll probably install a gas fireplace and open the wall between the living and dining rooms, and maybe replace the big window with French doors. But not this year. For now, the fake fireplace can go.

The space needs to work for 2 huge elementary-aged boys building legos and playing video games, but also for grownups especially my tall husband who wants a comfortable sofa for TV viewing. We have a small den/playroom but the combination of the TV and backyard access makes this our entire family's primary hang-out space.

When we first moved in about 11 years ago, we had 2 unmatched sofas. About 5 years ago, I opted to get an L-shaped sectional. The shape has worked well, but the sectional itself has been beaten down by heavy use. It's hard for me to find a right-sized replacement (the current one is 90x105) and I think it shrinks the available space more than I'd like now that my kids are getting adult-sized. I have an array of side chairs in the room that don't get used much because of positioning.

So I'm considering reverting back to 2 long comfortable sofas rather than a sectional, and running them on each long side of the room, with a long skinny coffee table in the middle. I'd move the TV to the short wall (and probably get a larger one). That would seem to net me more floor space for kids and a better conversation flow for entertaining. My husband is not sold, but he wasn't prior to my last reconfiguration either. I'm not totally sure, though - will it make the room look like a train station? So I'm looking for feedback or other ideas.

I've attached photos from either end of the room as it is currently (ignore the pre-reno kitchen and the random chandelier in the second one; I returned it per advice here), plus a shot of the adjacent kitchen/breakfast area post-remodel. Thanks for any advice!

Kitchen from living room (still hunting for the right runner):
{{gwi:2136549}}

Comments (18)