SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hokie98

2nd floor laundry + vibrations - best solutions?

hokie98
9 years ago

I was just wondering what the consensus is on the best way to minimizing vibrations from the 2nd floor laundry. We bought a house last summer that was built around 1990 with a 2nd floor laundry. I have a 9 yr old Bosch Nexxt 700 series washer & dryer (candidly, at 9 yrs old, we probably only have a few more operating years left). We had the interior of the house painted back in May and this morning I've noticed on the main floor under the area where the washer & dryer are located, the paint has cracked where the crown molding meets the ceiling. I have also noticed it in our bedroom, which shares a wall with the laundry closet. While it's nothing a little bit of caulk & paint won't fix, it probably isn't a good thing that it's vibrating enough to crack that paint, and eventually it may cause more structural damage. Right now I have a load of mixed clothes, including jeans, and I'm in the kitchen and can hear some vibrations coming from the pantry.

If I remember correctly, the previous owners had a traditional top loader. This is the first time I've had these units on a 2nd floor (our last house was a one story, on a slab). The laundry 'closet' is tiled, with a drain.

I have been reading about using rubber mats (I have horses, and familiar with rubber mat!), but someone said there was mold/moisture concerns by using those. I see there are 'vibration feet'....how well do they work?

So again, just trying to get a consensus on what seems to be working best, beside replacing the set (which candidly will probably happen in the next few years), or moving the laundry room (I don't have anywhere else to move it beyond the basement, and that would be pretty decent pain in many ways).

Thanks so much!!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022