SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barbaspal

Anyone recommend natural stone or Peacock pavers in a kitchen?

kitchengirl
9 years ago

I have been struggling with this issue, knowing that my practical side generally wins out after a lengthy struggle with my gemini twin that strongly values aesthetics!

We will be building a home with concrete floors and radiant heat and plan to put in hard-surface floors throughout. Roughly 50% will be wood-look tile and the other 50% will be stone-look or stone/cement/not an exact replica of stone but a 'natural-ish' look.

I have spent TOO MANY hours looking for porcelain tile that is "stone-ish" that I love, finding only "possibilities" when I really want a multi-piece "Versailles-style" stone floor or concrete "Peacock pavers". The multi-piece/multi-size layout alludes to the oldish-World look I vaguely aspire to ;-)

Of course, the issue is acid, wine and grease stains in a hard-working kitchen. I don't want to have to super-clean a natural stone floor and reseal it every 2 years (or more often). My sister-in-law somewhat regrets putting in a stone floor, as it has required lots of regular cleaning and multiple sealings, every 1-2 years.

I have some hang-up about tile that really tries to replicate a specific stone, particularly travertine, which makes it really hard to find something lovely and interesting, but not overly showy, like many of the newer cross-cut stone looks.

-- Is there anyone who feels their stone OR concrete paver floor has been worth its effort?

-- Or that used a great sealing product and has not had to reseal for many years?

-- OR has installed a great-looking multi-piece "stone-ish" porcelain tile layout?

-- I'm the kvetching type, so I'd like to keep the floor looking more or less stain-free. Perhaps it can look both pretty (not grungy and spotty) and well-lived at the same time, depending on the choice of stone?

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone with an experienced perspective. Thanks very much.

Comment