SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
faulstr_gw

If you have 9 foot ceilings, what height windows and doors?

faulstr
9 years ago

I apologize because I did a similar post last week but I didn't get many responses and I really want to hear what others did. We will have 9 foot ceilings on main level and as I'm going to finalize our window order I realized that architect showed tops of 6' windows lining up with top of 6'8" patio door which look good on exterior elevation drawings but which means he must have placed them 8" off ground. I feel that is too low because there will be so much drywall above. Our builder was planning to hang windows higher but then the patio slider would be lower which he says is ok, but our house is very symmetrical so I'm afraid this would look odd from the rear elevation. However I think going to an 8' sliding door and hanging windows 1' from top is too tall for my personal taste with 9 foot ceilings because we were planning on decent size crown and door/window moldings. I've searched online and bothered real life friends all weekend because I want it to look right. At this point I'm leaning towards placing windows 20" off ground for header height of 92" and then adding a 12" transom above the slider to line up. But This would be the only transom in the house although I think it could look ok because the purpose would be to keep the symmetrical lines. Thoughts? What size windows and patio doors do you have with 9 foot ceilings? How are your windows placed? Do they align with patio doors?

Comments (24)