SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rchicago

MidCentury Exterior Door Options/Pricing

RChicago
9 years ago

Hi,

I hope you'll let me play here as it seems that most discussions of exterior doors happen on this Gardenweb forum.

I have a late 60's home with what appear to be two original solid wood painted doors (pic below). I also have two sidelights and storm doors. I live in Chicago and there is a substantial overhang such that the doors don't see much moisture.

I was planning to replace the hardware and storm doors and repaint the exterior doors.

My designers are encouraging me to go with new, both so that it will look nicer and because even if the doors + storm doors provide decent insulation, the windows aren't any good.

I looked into replacing with new sidelites and flat slab wood doors, but was told that they can't warranty flat slab wood doors. If I want simple doors, I was told to look at fiberglass.

They're suggesting one of the following two options, which includes two 36"x80" doors plus two 16'x80" sidelights -- but not tax, delivery or installation:

1) Therma Tru #S100 flush fiberglass for $1546, or
2) Simpson Contemporary door #7404 fir unfinished for $2510.

In either case, we'd forego the storm doors and would plan to paint the new doors.

Any thoughts about Therma Tru vs. Simpson? Or fiberglass vs. Simpson's contemporary "wood" line? Are these all decent doors? Anything I should ask as a follow up, options I should consider? Here's more info on the Simpson line: http://www.simpsondoor.com/literature/pdfs/Contemporary_Exterior_Doors.pdf.

Many thanks!

Comments (3)