SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadya_n

Help me figure out this staircase dilemmma!

Nadya
9 years ago

Dear gardenwebbers, you were all so wonderful to me when I was designing my kitchen. I am hoping to pick your collective brain on a different subject.

So we are building an addition to our house and making a bunch of other changes. In a nutshell, we are adding 300 sqft of space, reconfiguring the resulting space on the first floor, adding a new roof on top of the expanded footprint, and setting up bonus space in the attic to be refinished later.

Being first-time renovators, I'm sure we've made a bunch of mistakes, the first of which was changing our minds several times throughout the process. Looking back, there is a phrase I would ban from our vocabulary forever called "Since we're doing this anyway..." (followed with "let's make a bunch of other expensive changes") :)

The last change we've made was that we had a brilliant idea to raise the ceilings on the first floor from 8 to 9 ft (see, "since we're doing this anyway and getting a new roof, let's raise the ceilings"). We've agreed on the price of this with our contractor.

The problem? The designer/architect seems a little sick of me and can't find a good solution for the two added steps on the staircase we need to account for the new ceiling height. We originally had an L-shaped staircase with a landing in between. We don't really have room to add additional risers on top (lack head room) or bottom (crowding an already tight space). I suggested turning the landing into winder steps to avoid adding extra steps on top or bottom. At first it seemed like it might work, but now it appears we need two steps, not one. A split landing accounts for one, and she added a second one at the bottom.

I emphatically DO NOT want that extra step on the bottom. We had a nice tidy plan for that space where everything lined up, and now that extra step protrudes like a sore thumb. Please help me find a solution! Aren't there some creative tricks one might employ? We are in Virginia, if that matters.

First image shows the plan with 8 ft ceilings on the first floor - see how the bottom of the stairs lines up with the closet wall?

Second image shows the plan with 9 ft ceilings - one step protrudes, making it cramped.

Third image is the upstairs.

Comments (26)