SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewkuhn

Am I Crazy?!? BlueStar RNB over Platinum?!?

Andrew K.
9 years ago

GW Community,

First off I want to say thank you to everyone on this forum as this site has been by FAR the best resource I've come across as my wife and I build our dream home. We've just getting ready to start a family and the feedback on decisions from kitchen layouts, to exterior wall insulation to windows across this site has been great.

So all that being said, this brings me back to my #1 focus of this entire project...the kitchen. A couple months ago while doing the layout the team here helped us design what you see below in the pics. We are in our early 30's, we both like to cook and entertain friends and are planning a family soon so the kitchen is a very important social area for us. And being a kitchen geek - the appliances are very important to me.

After visiting several independent appliance stores (driving over 2 hours one-way to see a BlueStar Platinum in person...TWICE) I got thrown a curveball by the store manager the other day and I wanted your feedback.

From the beginning we've been looking for a 48" range (gas) with open burners. We were hooked on the BlueStar Platinum and we LOVE the range top, but over time the over issues have been picking at me. The PowerBurner recall fix (untested technology) with the trays warping, the mismatched door screws and still hot front door bug me the most.

As you can see from our layout, we don't have wallspace for a double electric/convection/steam, etc. oven on a wall plus we like the range with double ovens underneath for space reasons. Having an electric oven would be ideal but I've cooked with a gas oven ever since I was a little kid (I wanted to be a chef growing up and spent many hours in the kitchen with my mother) so gas ovens don't bother me that much. (We do bake but not a ton).

The only other space in the kitchen is a 30" cutout in the center island for some sort of secondary oven/microwave (Still deciding on that one).

So back to the initial question - the store manager mentioned to me that with the relatively short period that the PowerBurner Oven has been on the market, if I REALLY want a BlueStar to go back to an RNB 8 Burner stove, and go find a removable griddle on my own for when I need one.

It saves me money (which isn't a bad thing but I can afford all options), and it takes away any concerns with the new oven technology. The main downside would be the lower BTU burners but they're still substantial.

I'm still open to other ranges and have been looking at several closed burner options but I guess I'm trying to find the best solution to my conundrum.

What 48" Range and what matching oven/microwave/speed/combi whatever oven setup (Has to be undercounter due to the island cutout) will work best for this situation?

To give you an idea of the other appliances:
-Most likely Zephyr Typhoon II Range Hood (although I'm mad I can't find one with LED lighting), Bosch 800 series DW, GE CounterDepth 36" Width French Door Fridge (Cafe or Profile).

I'm open to all suggestions from Miele, to Wolf, GE, etc.

I am in the building industry so I have the GE Friends/Family discount hence the fridge decision (Takes the $3100 MSRP fridge down to about 2K), and also would make a 240v advantium speed oven cheap as well. (Will prob run their best washer/dryer combo upstairs although I do like the Electrolux setup).

Please feel free to ask if you have additional questions as I have the autoresponse notification set up and will be prompt to reply. Thanks in advance!

-Andrew

(One more thing - kitchen is going to be a "traditional/Houzz "White Kitchen". White, Shaker Style DuraSupreme Cabinets, 5-6" wide blank dark stained Oak or mahogany hardwood floors, grey counter island, most likely Calacatta Marble countertops (possibly a quartz/quartzite product if I can find the proper look).

I know most here will cringe at the marble selection as I truly use my kitchen and don't mind the patina/wear of a honed marble and am OCD about keeping things clean.

Any other questions - let me know. Thanks!

Kitchen Design Layout Images:

ARGGGHHHHH!!! GardenWeb won't allow me to paste the Flickr Code.

Here's the Link to the Kitchen Design Layout:

Here is a link that might be useful: Andrew's Kitchen Layout

This post was edited by AndrewDK on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 22:46

Comments (18)