SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan_in_davis

36" gas cooktop recommendations?

jan_in_davis
9 years ago

I'm about to embark on a kitchen "facelift." I use that word because the basic layout and the cabinets are staying as is. I'm replacing the counters (currently white tile, which I've disliked since we bought the house almost 10 years ago), the cooktop (GE Profile gas; serviceable, but not great and really irritating to try to keep clean, plus one of the burners has stopped working), ventilation hood (total POS), sink (I HATE, HATE, HATE having a sink with two equal size bowls - want a large single bowl sink - but didn't think that could be changed until we did the counters), and the dishwashwer (it's a Miele that we put in when we bought the house; I know it should have lasted longer than ten years, but our water is very hard, which tends to clog things (even when the "things" have a water-softener and we have a whole house water-softener) and it doesn't get things as clean as it should and has a drainage problem about every 3 weeks - at least I know how to fix that).
I thought the cooktop replacement was an easy choice - I've been reading about the Capital Culinarian on here "forever" and wanted it. But then I discovered that it's 27" deep and my counters are 23" deep, and having something stick out 4" just isn't a realistic option for me - I am capable of getting bruises from doorknobs that stick out 1/2" and I move around the kitchen a lot. So I'm now looking into the possibilities for a 36" cooktop instead of a rangetop. Definitely want gas, both because I like cooking on gas and because my contractor says it would be a major job to get 220 electricity to the cooktop location for induction.
I've read all the reviews I could find with the help of Google, and searched this forum, but haven't really found enough information to make a good decision. The space is 36", so that's my size. I do a lot of cooking, some wok cooking but not a great deal, do like to sear steaks, don't make fancy sauces very often, so low temperature isn't crucial. I tend to slide pots from one burner to another even on the GE, where the grates aren't remotely connected, so think I want continuous or at least close together grates. There have been relatively few times when I've missed the non-functional burner on the existing cooktop, so 5 burners is fine. I won't say price is irrelevant, but quality is more important.
So, any recommendations? I've looked at reviews of the BlueStar, which so far as I can see is the only open burner cooktop. That seems to have both pros and cons: it allegedly will get higher heat and direct the heat better, but it sounds as if an open burner cooktop (as opposed to a rangetop) will have cleaning issues. Consumer Reports likes the Thermador, but I'm not really a big believer in CR; they often seem to think things I find irrelevant are important. I'm not even sure what else to look at.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County