SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsshayne_gw

Anyone NOT like onyx showers?

MrsShayne
9 years ago

I'm getting ready to redo my master bath. I already bought shower tile for the walls. I just assumed I would get matching shower tile for the shower floor but then my contractor mentioned getting an onyx shower base. I didn't know you could order just the base so I never thought I would use it. I'm getting quotes around $600 for the onyx base. Contractor says tile shower floor will be about $600-$800 more. Although cost is only about a 25% factor, I just don't know if I like the looks of onyx. I feel like its superior in the sense of not having to work about grout on the shower floor but grout doesn't really bother me...

Does anyone love or dislike onyx or reg tile floors in showers? Please share any thoughts or comments.

I'm doing dark charcoal tile in the bathroom and I found the same little matching tiles for the shower base... If I go with onyx the only color I like comes in gloss (no matte) so I'm wondering if it will work...

This first pic shows my tile floor and you can see the onyx color is pretty close. I'm wondering if it will clash though. I don't want lighter because the lighter clashed with my shower wall tile.

Comments (219)

• PRO
    jane
    3 years ago

Robin - Did you ever find someone to do your bathroom? I also live in the Boston area and am looking for a bathroom contractor. Thanks !

• Kristen Michele
    3 years ago

Am pricing out solid surface walls and pan for my shower. Found a local fabricator for the Corian pan. Price I was verbally quoted was $49/square foot for walls, and about 3k for a custom pan (all including installation). My shower is 3'wx5'lx8'h, so that's about $4k for the walls, plus $3k for the custom pan. NOPE. The fabricator suggested I find a pre-made pan, and said that the walls can be mounted on top of that. I'm still looking at the (MUCH cheaper) Swan products at Lowe's but I'm concerned about the thickness of the panels, compared to the thicker Corian.

• Related Discussions

Onyx tile shower: where to use caulk vs. grout?

Q

Comments (3)
    We plan on very tiny joints. Are spacers used for very thin grout lines? Yes. Usually they're small tapered spacers called "marble wedges", as seen in the pic below. but Bill Vincent recommended siliconized latex caulk in another thread. Are there particular brands that perform well? Whatever the brand grout you used, that's the brand of caulking you get, as well, and from the same place, and in the same color as the grout. Just about all grout manufacturers now make their caulkings with antimicrobial agents in them to put a stop to mold and mildew. Do we fill the tub with water before caulking? If it's cast enamel, it's not necessary. If it's plastic or fiberglass, you'd do alot better to make sure the installer supports the "belly" of the tub with mortar or foam. It'll go alot further than filling the tub. The reason for filling the tub is so that excessive movement won't stretch the caulking past its limits. Even a better idea is to limit said movement (which is what you do by supporting the bottom of the tub). Also, I remember a thread mentioning using caulk instead of grout in the "corners," but I am not sure if that means just the bottom corners, or the whole vertical seams where the back and side walls of tile meet. Any place where one wall meets another, or a wall meets a floor (or in this case the tub), it should be caulked.
    ...See More

Has anyone used a shower curtain on a neoangled shower?

Q

Comments (0)
    We are getting ready to retile our neoangle shower in our master bath. After dealings nag with the nightmares of cleaning glass doors (and the ones that are supposed to not spot), we are wanting to go with a shower curtain. We have a country style bathroom that also has a claw foot tub, so we are wanting something that will fit that look. If anyone is using a shower curtain along with a neoangle shower rod, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks in advance!
    ...See More

Onyx Shower Base too small for framing

Q

Comments (1)
    I ordered my onyx shower base for a 60" bathroom but once I pulled out out the old fiberglass tub and measured the gap, it is actually 60.5". When I installed the base, I left it tight on the side with the plumbing, but now I have a 0.5" gap on the opposite side. I am wondering how to make that transition without the onyx wall panel looking out of place. Plan on furring out the drywall that goes where the panel is, which will leave a .5" transition along the one edge and top of shower. The panel is 84" and the wall its 96".
    ...See More

Need help - Tiramisu onyx countertop and shower

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm sorry for the confusion. I will be purchasing from "The Onyx Collection". It is manufactured right here in Kansas so pretty much everyone here is used to just calling it "onyx" and we all know what they mean. Again, sorry I was not more specific.
    ...See More
  • unser
    3 years ago

I was unable to find a local contractor, that I trusted, to build me a solid surface shower of any type. I went into the game Thinking Corian. I would have “settled” for Onyx or Swan but, around my area, just couldn’t make it happen. I’m jealous of your options! Good luck! Hopefully this will be your “forever” shower. 😉

• ntguru
    3 years ago

Home owners and (especially) bathroom contractors, have you had any experience with white Onyx in matte (versus the default glossy), and is that for shower walls, pan, or vanity counters? The glossy Onyx looks a little cheesy/downmarket to my eye, but I'm concerned about matte's durability. We're contemplating white matte onyx for shower walls and pan, plus vanity. This is a fairly modern bath remodel (fully floating vanity and linen cabinets, etc).

• Mics
    3 years ago

@ntguru I'm have the same thoughts! I want matte finish in my shower but wondering about durability, cleanability, etc.

If anyone has experience, please let us know!

• Nancy Dressel
    3 years ago

We have a Kohler cast iron shower pan in light gray. It's beautiful and does not discolor. Easy to clean too. They have several sizes and colors.

• Natalie Bosworth Hansen
    3 years ago

Has anyone here gone with the Matte? I’m looking at Glacier in either matte or gloss for my walk in shower.

• Chad Grimes
    3 years ago

I work for a company in New Bern, NC that installs Onyx, Although most everyone chooses gloss, we have not had any issues with the matt finish. According to the Onyx website there is no difference in durability, only in appearance.

• thequadsqueen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Has anyone done a mix of Onyx walls with a Corian shower pan? Wondering if the respective contractors will do it since they all want to sell whole packages.

also wondering whether they will bond well with each other. The local Corian fabricator just uses clear silicone on the inside corners and says that won’t yellow. Is that correct? I’ve definitely had clear silicone discolor before in the kitchen...

• thequadsqueen
    3 years ago

for LA folks, Feese Wares does Corian showers http://feesewaresurfaces.com/. Only took 6 months to find that out lol. Their quote was just below $9k for a 57” shower, including shower pan.

• chellefnp
    3 years ago

I'm planning for a master bath remodel in the next few months and at this point, I am leaning towards using the Onyx collection as well. I liked their selection of custom pan layouts, since I'm planning to have a three sided enclosure with a single door to reduce the amount of glass I have to clean. They have a pan with just the right layout.

I'm also interested in the question of glossy vs matte finish--any opinions here? What is interesting to me is that the pure white solid color is more expensive than one of the "granite" appearing ones. I'm not opposed to a colored choice but just want to make sure I don't have too many patterns going on in the bathroom. I worked with my local Lowe's guy to get a rough price quote, and he ordered me a set of free samples. I was impressed with his knowledge of the product and their ordering process. The samples should arrive in the next few days, so hopefully I will get a better idea of what might work well from a color standpoint.

• Jeremy Jarmer
    3 years ago

We absolutely love our onyx shower! It was so much easier to install than tile. plus, we were able to get matching countertops with sinks. It’s the only way to go, in my opinion.

• ntguru
    3 years ago

chellefnp, in my opinion, the only Onyx options that work (especially in glossy) are those in the solid white realm. For example, the darker grey with flecks reminds me of old 60/70's linoleum flooring and that is exacerbated in the glossy version. The larger the expanse, the more this applies.

• ntguru
    3 years ago

Hi Jeremy, congrats on the new bathroom! Can you give an idea of how big your shower and countertops are? Can you upload any pictures?

• HU-32657108
    3 years ago

My Mom has a dark grey Onyx shower pan and dove grey Onyx shower walls. She uses a plastic shower mat that has suction cups on the bottom to anchor it to the shower pan, which she used to habitually leave in place. About 6 months after her Onyx shower had been installed, I lifted the mat and discovered that the shower pan had discolored (faded to paler color) in perfect conformation to the shower mat. Each suction cup clearly distinguishable as slightly darker spots in the faded area where the mat had been. I assumed it was soap scum, but it was impossible to scrape off with a fingernail, and no cleanser (including Kaboom and CLR) would remove It. We left the mat off the shower pan for a week and gradually the faded area returned to its original color. This happened twice over a one year period, so now she hangs the mat after every shower which prevents the discoloration from recurring. Obviously the Onyx material is reacting so something when covered by plastic over time. Oxidation? Anoxidation? Something in the plastic itself? No idea. But Onyx definitely discolors in certain conditions. Still, it’s a beautiful solid surface material, easy to clean and keeps its gleam with no special products needed.

• luke1910
    3 years ago

@Tim Allen Your second picture from the top: did you build a bench seat and cover it with onyx slab you used on the wall? I can see a corner of it and it looks good. Any chance you have a picture of that straight on? Thank you. I plan to do onyx shower in gloss white. Thank you.

• recoveringcondoowner
    3 years ago

Thanks for whoever liked my comment yesterday about taking a chance on the gloss white Onyx color last year - possibly you @luke1910? You reminded me to come back for my promised update. So far, so good! No staining, fading, yellowing, marks, streaks. In case it matters, there are no windows in this room allowing sunlight to affect the color. I did use bright white LED lights making the color contrast gorgeous. I couldn't be happier with the color and my new aging-in-place master bath.

I did not install a bench. Instead, I bought a teak shower bench, which will come in handy for my upcoming knee replacements.

@HU-32657108 The textured pan is somewhat slippery, but I don't want to risk using a mat that could stain. It has been good enough to use my two Onyx grab bars frequently during the shower - one at elbow level going the length of the shower, and the other short vertical one at the front left edge for safe getting out. These placements turned out to be just right. See photo in my above post.

OK, OK everyone! I'll get a temporary mat!

• Kris
    2 years ago

@recoveringcondoowner I'm so glad you updated on the onyx collection. I am currently looking at that exact style for an upstairs bathroom. I am new to renovating things and want something that will last not something that will have to be replaced in a year. Do you have a ballpark figure on the cost of the project? Thanks! Looks great!

• recoveringcondoowner
    2 years ago

Would you believe, I sold my 1903 condo and moved out to the country, 3 weeks after double knee replacements and during a pandemic! My new house has a bathtub - not OK! t's a 1974 bathroom. Materials for a new Onyx walk-in shower and vanity top arrive this week. This time, I ordered Alabaster, stunning! Be sure to ask Onyx for their samples so you can make a confident color choice.

@Kris, I went to the same reliable bathroom supply company here in Saint Louis, MO, Henry Plumbing. I paid $400 for a double vanity top and $2835 for the shower (surround, grab bars, corner caddy, sliding glass door, delivery charge). I did have to wait 3 months for the order, due to pandemic-related increase in demand.

Note that this price is only for Onyx and does not include any hardware or medicine cabinets, which I am also buying. If you are going to go to all the trouble and expense of remodeling, you might as well do it right and update other items. However, to save some money, I am keeping the newer chair-height toilet, vanity bottom, walls, floor, and woodwork.

Total materials = $6346, labor = $6500. I think I paid closer to $15,000 for the 1903 condo bathroom update at the end of 2019, but that was a complete remodel, down to the studs.

Note above my rave review of my independent contractor, Rob Brugnone. This time he is driving all the way out to the exurbs to help me out. His price is very reasonable and he is quite the perfectionist, working very quickly!

Can't wait to hobble straight into my gorgeous new shower without having to hoist my fake knees over that tall tub! I'll come back with before/after photos.

• Kris
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for the update! I just keep going back and forth as i do for any other update to my house. It's nice to have a ballpark figure to start with. That's great too that you can use your same contractor. Hope it all works out well for you. Speedy recovery to you too.

• Jill
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We will be installing a custom Onyx shower on our second floor. Several comments mention the weight of the bases and panels. Our house is over 120 years old and I'm wondering if we would need to reinforce below this new shower?? We currently have a tile shower there, and would not be making it bigger. Is Onyx a lot heavier than tile? Thank you.

• kkstiles
    2 years ago

Jill, I don't know if reinforcement is needed, but yes, Onyx is heavy! I'd say definitely heavier than tile. We had a large base (probably 3'x6') and it took 5-6 guys to carry it up and place it. And they were straining and working hard!

• beaniebakes
    2 years ago

Jill.. your question can‘t really be answered without knowing more about your floor joist construction. A deflection calculation can be done to determine the strengh for different flooring materials; see link below.

I converted an attic to living space, including a tiled bathroom and tub, and the joists had to be reinforced. We didn’t use the calculator because it was an obvious requirement to my experienced contractor and architect.

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

• recoveringcondoowner
    2 years ago

I should change my handle to 1974RaisedRanchDweller! Here is the completed master bath, with Onyx Alabaster shower, tower, grab bars, and vanity top. The shower doors are also Onyx. My contractor likes them much better than other brands of shower doors.

Before:

After:

I do not NOT like Onyx showers!

• Kris
    2 years ago

Thanks for coming back for an update on your new bathroom. It looks great! And I laughed when i saw you do not NOT like Onyx showers. Glad to have a point of view from an actual consumer of the product. Thanks!

• janem27442
    2 years ago

A question for folks with glossy Onyx shower pans—are they slippery?

• janem27442
    2 years ago

And one other question, has anyone paired a matte pan with glossy shower walls?

• recoveringcondoowner
    2 years ago

@janem27442, I was worried with my first Onyx shower, all white subway tile design, that the pan was too slippery. See all the advice I got above to add a non-slip bath mat. This time (2021), i got the Alabaster, which I believe is glossy, but the Alabaster pan has a rough feel to it and some attractive diagonal ridges. I am not using a bath mat. I don't know if they changed something, but I feel a lot safer, even with my wobbly legs and balance.

• janem27442
    2 years ago

Thanks much for the reply! I went ahead and ordered the glossy after seeing a display model that didn’t look too glossy and felt like it had a non-slip texture

• adcl
    2 years ago

While the onyx may not be as "pretty" they are so much easier to maintain. I have had both and found it a breeze to care for while I found tile grout a monster.

• Maersk gingus
    2 years ago

ONYX is very, very unlucky. Can I see your hands?

• Nancy in Mich
    2 years ago

Maersk GIngus, it is a good thing, then, that the Onyx Collection showers that are being discussed have no actual onyx semi-precious stone in them.

• HU-910992041
    last year

Has anyone had a problem with their onyx wall bowing?

• Melissa Little
    last year

Hi. not at all. we’ve had ours installed now for six years and still look good. they are warrantied for life, so call the person who put it in and it should be taken care of for free.

• Kris
    last year

Glad to hear everyone likes theirs as ours has been installed but not used yet.

• kinthenorthwest
    last year

This thread is probably dead by now but here goes

The picture of the tires is pretty much my pet peeve with the onyx shower. Somehow or another we are supposed to know what an onyx shower will look like from one small sample. There other thing is that there are very few ways to dress it up a bit.

• Melissa Little
    last year

are you referring to tiles and not tires? whats wrong with them? we love ours.

• Jill Dilly
    last year

Does anyone have a picture of stone look onyx shower walls? We are considering having one installed in alabaster. Thanks!

• kinthenorthwest
    last year

@Melissa Little Yes Thank you...It would be nice to see what some of the small tiles samples actually look like when the shower walls are done with one sheet.

• kimberlyrose07
    last year

PlatPlatinum walls concrete strip

• HU-918916670
    last year
    last modified: last year

We had our Onyx shower installed last year. It's was the best decision we made to our bathroom remodel. Removing the tub to shower conversion gave us more room for a larger shower. We had a certified Onyx installer that did a really good job. It's expensive to get it done right with less worry in the future. Low maintenance was a must have. Tile over time just didn't work for us anymore. Onyx product is good substitute.

• Julie
    11 months ago

I am just finding this thread. I am looking into onyx collection showers for a master bath and guest bath. I am loving all the photos that people have shared. Wondering has anyone had issues with mold/mildew or anything collecting in the little grooves of the subway tile or shiplap? Also any issues with the grout on the added tile strip? Any comments or additional photos are much appreciated! Thank you!

• janem27442
    11 months ago

Our bathroom remodeler was very against a a tile shower floor. He thinks it’s only a matter of time before there are problems, so we went with the Onyx shower pan for our otherwise tiled shower and have been very happy!

• HU-530246415
    11 months ago

Super happy with ours. it is very easy to keep clean.

• Chase Williamson
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

I'd recommend Tyvarian. Same install and benefits as Onyx but with a more updated color selection. Over 100 color options and made in the USA. check out Tyvarian's Instagram

• PRO
    Lauren With Apex
    10 months ago

I highly recommend using BCI for your bathroom remodel, it’s an easy installation process and the product is 15% acrylic and 85% ABS (like legos, and helmets) with a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

• PRO
    LaValle Flooring Inc
    9 months ago

We really like The Onyx Collection shower systems because it allows us to offer folks something as durable as tile, easier to clean, with less downtime from demo to installation. Of course, you only have an option between granite and solid colors, but it's a great option for most people. Our customers in North Dakota really appreciate the Onyx since it doesn't get as cold as tile in the winter time!

Valley City ND Onyx Shower · More Info

• HU-5087127
    2 months ago

I have a question. I am thinking about getting our shower remodeled with Onyx materials. I cannot get over how the gloss panels look like cheap plastic. I am worried I will hate it after it is installed. They don't make the matte finish anymore. Also, did most of you got with a darker base than the walls or the same color?

• Nancy in Mich
    2 months ago

Look at Swanstone or Corian. You may like their surfaces better, and theirs are repairable with 3M pads. The color goes through-and-through and there is not any glass finish to ruin. Just be sure you are seeing actual Swanstone and not their Vikrel material. Onyx is not stone, it just uses the name of a stone. It IS plastic. With a gloss finish on top.

• wendytim2
    25 days ago

Chase, thank you for recommenting Tyvarian! I really like it, and the new colors are very realistic. Deciding between Tyvarian and porcelain panels now.