SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ams547

Lighting options/placement in Bathroom

ams547
9 years ago

I'm doing a full reno on my master/en suite bathroom and have come to a stand still on my overhead lighting. The bathroom itself is slightly over 7ft x 7ft. I've attached an image showing the initial layout that I came up with.

The three blue circles are 6" recessed, and the red is a Panasonic 6" recessed/exhaust fan combo unit above the shower. I also have two wall sconces planned for either side of the mirror. The sconces are fine and I don't have any issues here.

The three recessed would operate on a single dimmer switch, while the shower light and sconces would each dedicated switches.

My issue stems with the placement and/or need of all of these (it's a small room). The one above the shower is nice, but I will have glass doors and a half glass wall by the toilet - so light shouldn't be that much of a concern in there. I also brought back the recessed around 22 inches from the wall by the vanity and linen cabinet because I was concerned about being able to see inside the cabinet if the lights were 15 inches from the wall - like on the other side of the room. The cabinet is 84" tall and the ceilings are 91" - so they would block most of the light. However, bringing them back may cast some weird shadows on us.

Or, do I just go for a single light in the center of the room (maybe a mini chandelier) and the sconces? Or single light with two lights above vanity and sconces with all vanity lights operating on single switch. With these options I'd still keep the shower light/fan.

Can anyone please give me their opinion on these options or if you have one that I have not explored that would be great. Thank you much, in advance!

Comments (4)