SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmr341

seeking help with front elevation (and more)

jmr341
9 years ago

This is my first time posting-so kindly let me know what I can do to improve my inquiries. This is our first time building, we never had really considered it until pretty recently. Our previous home miraculously sold in 3 months. Needless to say, we'd like to get started building soon. But our naivete of the whole process is starting to make my head spin. And we inch forward, trying to figure out the design.

We have the interior drawn up pretty much to our liking. Although I know they aren't perfect and need a few kinks ironed out. We like the floorplan in general. Its the smaller details I'm still trying to figure out. We seem to know what we don't want more than what we do. I gladly accept any comments and concerns you see.

Our main concern right now is the exterior. It feels like we started off the wrong way, as the exterior that goes with the interior is pretty much the opposite of what we are wanting. Right now I'd like to make the exterior changes and move a few things around inside, if necessary.

We are planning a main floor with master suite and common areas, basement, and bonus area in the attic by using the appropriate trusses. (If that is even the correct way to put it) I am not in love with the bonus space above the garage. It can be reworked once the roofline is to our liking. We just want a bedroom with large closet and bathroom up there. Also the common area. The storage is just up there because I would like to use all the space available. The 3 car garage without front facing doors is mandatory for the neighborhood.

We prefer something with more charm and character. My husband keeps saying he doesn't like symmetrical angles. He wants the shed dormer to be larger. I like the craftsman "look." I also like the look of farmhouses that have had multiple additions throughout the years. We are planning stone with stucco or cement board or all three. (We do have to have about 30% stone or brick for rules as well.) I'm not sure if any of this can be done with our current plans. I will take ANY AND ALL ADVICE.

Thank you in advance for reading this long post and for your help!

This post was edited by jmr5 on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 4:44

Comments (14)