SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pascalli

Advice on Range Hood Ducting and Noise

pascalli
9 years ago

Hello,

I have spent a fair amount of time reading a bunch of threads here on Gardenweb, and I know there are many related to this subject, so I apologize if I missed a key post somewhere that would have cleared this up for me. However, I have been impressed with the wealth of knowledge and experience displayed by members of this forum. I'm hoping some of you might help me make some decisions in the new house I am building.

The kitchen in our floorplan is open to the dining and the living room, so range hood noise is an important issue. After doing some research here and other places, it seems like the most surefire way to reduce noise is to use an in-line or remote blower. This is always with the caveat that the ducting needs to be done right. That is what I am wondering about.

Our kitchen is on the ground floor, with a second storey above it. The plans are at the point now where I can't relocate our stove without making major changes. If we go with a remote blower, I have a couple of routes we could take. The route can either go straight up about 25 feet and out the roof (taking a corner piece out of our master bath), make two approximately 90 degree turns in the floor trusses and go the rest of the way up to the roof in a wall (less intrusive), or go one of those routes but turn 90 degrees and vent out the wall rather than the roof (making the total run shorter). Either way, I am planning on 10" ducts and an in-line blower.

My questions are:

1. Which of those three scenarios would result in the least noise?

2. Is the 25' straight up duct run too long?

3. Is there anything I need to consider when deciding to vent through the roof or the wall?

4. I have seen mention of silencers. Is there benefit to installing a silencer in this run? How do they work and where would be the best place?

Thanks in advance for your replies - I had no idea that a range hood could be so complicated!

Comments (11)