SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tediroca

Waste paper bin liners, newspaper and food shredding

Tedi
9 years ago

Hi there,

I live in a small apartment where we have setup a vermicomposter. So far I had some problems with the fruit fly but it is getting less critical by covering the waste on the vermicomposter with some paper. But I'm very happy about being able to recycle and make a good use of waste.

Now I'm trying to find a suitable method to keep the waste odorless in the kitchen since I use to add it after a couple of days, to avoid the first stage of the decomposition from happening in the vermicomposter and increasing the temperature.

I'd like to ask you 3 questions mostly related to waste pre-processing.

1) Do you use waste paper bin liners and then put the paper bat with the waste directly on the vermicomposter? I'm trying to be practical here but not sure this will benefit the worms.

2) I've read it's good to put small pieces of waste instead of entire vegetables. In the past I used a cheap ice shredder that did the job for a while until it broke. I'm trying to find a more suitable option but most I found is either very expensive or too big to keep in a small kitchen.

3) Is it any good to add newspapers and printed sheets to the vermicomposter? I've seen some interesting discussions about the ink not being toxic and some others discouraging from adding it because of the composition. Not 100% clear about it.

Thanks.

Comments (3)