SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestplumi

Bare root shipping-need tips

MidWestPlumi
9 years ago

I know this is last minute so few are likely to have an opportunity to reply... but I'm stressing....

left my 200+ plumeria in FL when I moved to the midwest earlier this year and it has been torture. I miss them and worry about them. They are temporarily being housed by a friend, but will get no winter protection and would much rather be living with me... even in the midwest...

I am going to attempt to transport some tomorrow (back in town for a very brief work trip). One large suitcase full of the little guys, and a priority mailing a 40" box with a few of the mid size. All the larger ones will have to stay and I hesitate to even take cuttings as rooting season is a long way off... I am wondering what I need to do with the roots. For the large suitcase (packed only with plants - but likely reinforced with cardboard), they will only need to be 'bare' for 24 hours or so; guessing the mailed plants are closer to 72 -96 + hours. The plants are mostly dormant now, but I have read mixed info on the bare roots. Based on your personal experiences, either sending or receiving (possibly even winter storage), what do you recommend? Some say bare roots = lots of lost plumeria, others say no problem completely bare, and others recommend packing roots in either moss, wet paper towels, etc. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

I have desperately miss my plants feel the risk of not moving them is currently greater than leaving them.. and not sure I"ll have another retrieval opportunity.

Thanks for any advice!

PS If I'm making a mistake on not taking cuttings from the larger plants (even thought they won't have a chance of rooting until june or july in midwest, let me know)!!!

Comments (4)