SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help me decide which to grow this year - sweets

2ajsmama
9 years ago

Sweet peppers to start with, I've got a list made out. I got so many seeds in the swap it's hard to decide, I do want to grow a few ornamentals for pots, gonna skip the arbol types this year, and very few superhots (that will be another thread). Have to grow some jalapneos, serranos for salsa but not gonna do too many 30,000 SHU varieties. I've got to take 400ft of row out of nightshades this year -maybe next year.

So here goes - I only have room for about 100 pepper plants this year, mostly sweets but leave me some room for others. Opinions on these?

Bells - Scorp sent me Emerald Giant, that's 80 DTM ripening to red but I bought New Ace (60 DTM but not blocky), Peacework (blocky 65 DTM but not very productive?) and Purple Beauty (74 DTM). Which and how many of each would you devote valuable space to?

Italian types - Carmen F5 - not stable - worth trying? It's tempting but I also have Giant Marconi from someone - start seeds from both?

Friarello 65DTM from brian 6464 - sounds promising, I really want to try this heirloom variety. Thanks Brian.

Lipstick or Melrose? They're both 70 DTM, sound very similar.

Super Shepherd or Tolli's Sweet? SS is 68 DTM which gives it an edge, longer which might not be good at market since people think long peppers are hot chiles...

Cheese type - I have Alma from previous years (thanks Bill) but really want to try Botinecka Zuta from the swap. Good for fresh eating?

Paprika/drying types - so many ancho/paprika etc types but since I can't sell powder I have to restrain myself from planting too many. Is Boldog good fresh? Or too similar to the Italians so not worth growing this year? What about Guajillo (Mirasol)? I'll dry some for us (really want to try Aleppo if room, Chimayo, and others) but I have to really devote space this year to trialing types I can sell fresh at market (or use in salsa or pickles).

I am definitely growing the yellow jalapeno Scorp sent me (Jaloro?) and prob. some early jal again, as well as serrano. Good in salsa, and I want to try a yellow salsa (though it seems I don't have any yellow bells, will have to use B. Zuta!).

Anaheim/Numex - got Big Jim, Santa Fe Grande (long chile, right?), Chimayo - worth growing this year (we love them) or too similar in shape to the Italians? Not really a market here for chiles but DH wanted some for rellenos and ristras/powder. So might have to pick only 1 - Chimayo?

So many peppers, so little time (space)!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions