SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staysane34

Dwarf citrus leaf and fruit drop

staysane34
9 years ago

I have a 6 year old dwarf trovita orange tree that I grow in a container of Al's Gritty Mix. I purchased the tree from Four Winds 2 yrs ago. I live in SW Pennsylvania (about an hour SE of Pittsburgh), so I take the tree outside in the warm months and indoors during the cold months. When indoors, the tree is in my plant room, (or "jungle", as my boyfriend affectionately refers to it) which has two windows, one facing SE, the other facing SW, and about 25 other houseplant specimens - some are just propagations of Jade or spiders or aloe . Here it receives roughly 6 hrs of indirect sunlight which is supplemented with a 400w HPS bulb, mounted high to the wall, about 6 feet from the tree, with a T5 light strip hanging just within an inch over the tree. When outdoors, the tree does very well, very few pests bother it; this year the tree blossomed at the mid-end of August. Knowing I was bringing it in for the winter and that I almost lost the tree last winter due to perched water, I made the change to Al's Gritty 1:1:1 Mix. At the same time, I also replanted my Coral Reef Tree in Al's Gritty Mix (The dwarf orange and the Coral Tree are my only two indoor / outdoor specimens). I opted to go the route of using plaster of paris and Epsom salt to supplement the nutrition I was providing with MG liquid plant food, but my orange tree did not take kindly to this and dropped many leaves as well as those first blossoms it developed during the summer. The Coral tree dropped leaves and the remaining upper leaves became super droopy. The leaves for both trees, before they dropped, the veins stayed green, but there was a yellowing pigmentation developing throughout the rest of the leaf. I thought it might be a nitrogen deficiency but wasn't sure. I did some research on what was going on (using this forum - so many insightful individuals here!) as well as some published scholarly journal studies and found my tree was suffering from calcium deficiency, so I went ahead and bought the Dyna-Gro 9-3-6 fertilizer, and voila! I'd say within a week the leaves stopped falling off and the deep green color returned to the leaves that had the yellow gradation. The Coral tree recovered as well. The orange tree put off a few new leaves and about 6 blossoms that made it to the quarter of an inch size within 2 months. But now, again, the tree is experiencing leaf drop and fruit drop. Not at the drastic rate as when I changed from soil to the gritty mix. My coral tree is also showing the yellowing gradation of the leaves again, only on a few lower leaves, and only at the tips. It has yet to drop any leaves, nor has any of its leaves become droopy. I keep "the jungle" at about 74 degrees and I have two large trays filled with pebbles that I keep watered to help increase the humidity in the room. The windows don't fog up, but there is a noticeable humidity in the room when you enter it. I spray the leaves of the plants occasionally as well, about midweek - the coral tree loves the humidity! I continue to water with the diluted 9-3-6 once a week. The lighting has not changed - approx. 12-14 hrs a day. I water my plants with the water collected by my dehumidifier (from another part of the house), because straight from the tap and even filtered through the Brita makes my plants' leaves turn yellow. My clay pots accumulate calcium deposits over time, still with me using this filtered water. Do you think I need to rinse the orange tree's roots / mix in diluted vinegar? I've seen Al recommend this vinegar wash before but have not been able to locate the posts in which the ratio of vinegar to water is listed. Any other ideas / suggestions on what might be going on with my tree?

Comments (13)