SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dephora

Winter vs Summer Growers

9 years ago

Hello All! :)

I recently just got into succulents after moving to zone 9b-10a (depending on what zone tracker I use heh). My grandmother always had them so they aren't totally beyond me.

My backyard is full of planted succulents, a few pots as well. The weather has finally cooled off from our 100 degree heat and it is in the lower 80s now and lows in the 50s.

I am now seeing growth even on plants that should not be winter growers but didn't do a thing in spring and summer. So here are my questions.

1. Should I fertilize now? With many of my plants finally growing like crazy, would this be the time to give them the extra boost?

2. What months are considered in the "Winter grower" "Summer grower" ranges? I see people say these words a lot, but with living in an area that never really is "Winter" weather I am confused when it really starts, at certain temps? What are the temps?

3. Is there a table someplace that shows what types of succulents are Winter vs Summer growers?

4. And finally what fertilizer do you consider the best? I have been reading about 3:1:2 ratio a lot but don't know exactly what fertilizers offer that. I have a miracle gro cactus plant food liquid mix but it has been raining and I am afraid to fertilize with it because I would need to water my plants even more.

Thanks so much for reading! Sorry for all the questions but the more I read the more questions I have.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County