SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcstoehr

This year's winter squash winners and losers

tcstoehr
9 years ago

This year I tried the following C Maxima squashes. I was looking for smaller size, good taste and long storage. Some Maximas do good in this climate, some do not. Pepos love it here, Moschatas not so much.

Red Kuri
Much bigger than advertised. Larger than volleyballs. Skin never hardened enough. All but one have rotted... already. I never tasted any, although I'll likely try the last one. In any case... loser.

Winter Sweet
Conveniently sized, 3-5 pounds. Ripened enough that skin passed the "thumbnail test". Quite good texture and flavor. Two have rotted but the rest seem quite stable. Winner.

Baby Green Hubbard
Very, very productive. Considerably larger than Winter Sweet but not out of the ballpark. Shell ripened nice and hard. A few had large cracks that healed over. Seems to be very good storage. I was quite hopeful but the taste and texture is awful... bleah! Loser.

Anna Schwartz
Quite productive with nicely sized fruits. Shell ripened very hard, so hard in fact that the shells remain hard and strong even after baking and eating the flesh. None have rotted. Taste and texture was very good, on par with Winter Sweet. Bonus, it's an heirloom. Winner, and new champion.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus