SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poncirusguy6b452xx

Cincinnati, OH Hardy chicago fig Hardy chicago fig 2015

The picture below is carried over from last year. Hardy Chicago figs' buds are turning green and about to burst open. I am hoping they all have leaves in 2 weeks. They are growing in containers ranging from 5 gallons to 30 gallons and reside with my citrus trees in the greenhouse. The link below takes you back to last year fig diary.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg0223165126211.html#post

Comments (64)

• PRO
    Greenco ag technologies
    9 years ago

A ch elated sugar based systemic would help you raise brix levels and maintain a healthy phloem and xylem during early growing and stress.

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    9 years ago

Plain english please...

• Related Discussions

Cold Hardy Fig Trees

Q

Comments (6)
    Chad, you are a lucky fig person to be living in a zone 6b. I wished I lived in a 6b. Which is were I thought we were, when we bought our house, 40 years ago. But, our location turned out to be a zone 5b/6a. The first fig we bought was a Hardy Chicago. At the time every one recommended it as the most cold hardy. But, it is not. In the last 30 years a lot of cold hardy figs have been discovered. In the last 20 years even more cold hardy ones. In the last ten years we have been growing and testing figs for cold hardiness. We have been able to identify many that are more cold hardy then Hardy Chicago. If you or any one else would like a list of figs that have done well for us, in ground, in our cold, Connecticut, 5b/6a zone location. Simply send to me a direct email. Send to: robertcharper@gmail.com I will attaché the list to the return email to you. Bob
    ...See More

Is this a Celeste FIg? Fig ID Please

Q

Comments (12)
    herman, no. palm fan, no dropping of fruit on this tree. I'm glad I bought this tree, it sounds like its a very good tree to have. very tasty and no fruit drop. I had no idea what I was buying when I bought it. My wife looked the way the tree looked!! When the tree goes dormant I will try to make some rooted cuttings. Hopefully it will work. I tried it once on my dads brown turkey but it didn't work. I cut it and placed some rooting hormone on it and put it in miracle grow soil and nothing happened. I might try another way. I have read about a few different ways on this forum. Joe
    ...See More

Chicago Hardy Fig

Q

Comments (3)
    I second Gene's recommendation, Edible Landscaping has worked well for me. Don't be afraid to try some of their other varieties such as Marseilles, English Brown Turkey, or Celeste. These ought to work well in Cincinnati, especially of given Winter protection for the first three years or so. I lived in Finneytown during my teen years. Gee, if I only lived there now I could put figs on my Graetters ice cream!
    ...See More

Have: Partially rooted Chicago Hardy fig cuttings

Q

Comments (14)
    bella as I am seeing your response to every post, my question is, why don't you just go out now that you have moved and purchase your plants to get started ? Sometimes shipping will cost you more than what buying a plant or two locally would. That way on down the road you will have plants to trade.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Greenco ag technologies
    9 years ago
    Young and tender plants rely heavily on carbohydrates or sugars as the don't have a full canopy of leaves to produce photosynthesis which is a plants way to convert sunlight into sap sugar. The term "brix" is a measurement of a plants sap sugars. The higher the brix levels the healthier the plant. In fruit propagation this is a critical component for re production of leaves, roots, and blooms. A chelated sugar is sprayed on the leaves and continues in to the plants vascular system. Phloem and Xylem are the highways that carry moisture, nutrition and sugars back and forth from roots to leaves.
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Are these items that can be put together at home or do they need to be purchased?

http://www.plantfoodco.com/lib/pdfs/PFC-Secondary-Nutrients/PFC-Secondary-Nutrients-Sugar-Cal.pdf

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

! tablespoon table sugar to one gallon of water works well for me and the plant roots. I use urine on my fig trees roots with fantastic results. my seed grown citrust trees I gave the sugar water formula after each of it's 4 transplants.

sprouted 1-7-2013. 6+ feet tall. 26.5 month old. Looks great.

30% larger, same age, bad camera angle Doing even better. I have no idea whether the atomic grow works or not. If it does then it will take off in sales. If it doesn't your out a small amount of money. I will be out nothing because I like what I have anyway. If it does very well for you I still won't use it unless it is sold in normal stores. I don't buy on line. As clint east wood said " DO YOU FEEL LUCKY----GARDENER---".

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The fig is rooted.

The next batch.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The latest

Hardy chicago fig

The fig tree to the left owns the fig above.

This tree has figs not visible. I have a total of 6 breba figs this year. A record.

The rooted fig is taking off

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My hardy chicago fig cuttings have rooted. I am rooting with a success rate of 1/3 times. figs are the only hardwood spieces cutting that has ever rooted for me

The clear cup can be placed in opaque containers to protect the roots from sunlight and lifted out to visually check progress.

9 years ago

Heres mine taken last night... about 10 weeks...

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There looking really nice. What I have found is that planting them out side before June is very hard on them because the soil is still to cold. Don't get impatient.

9 years ago

No worries. They will remain in pots and probably won't be out till June or July. They are under a CFL at night. These are the ones I transferred from the cups once it showed sufficient roots.

9 years ago

Steve, whats the soil or medium in the cups you showed in the video?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toby I missed your question or I would have answered much sooner.

I am using the equivalent of 2/3 Used Miracle grow potting soil mixed with 1/3 top soil dug from my back yard. At the end of the year I get about 0.5 yards of used potting soil from my customers when I put their garden beds to sleep.

This is the fig pictured at the very top of this thread after winter has passed.

It is one of the small one.

Another one.

One of the larger ones.

The Hardy Chicago fig is the most resistant to wet and cold root problems and therefore I can get away with my soil formula.

9 years ago
    I have 2 four year old Chicago figs. They are very hardy. but i put them in pots after 2 years. that's where I got some of my cuttings.
    9 years ago
    that's funny. nothing special on the soil. maybe I will go back to miracle grow instead of concocting fancy mixes. it can get expensive.
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My goal with these figs is to get them started in fall and push for about 1 foot or more growth. They go dormant by the end of December. By early February I'll bring them out of dormancy so they are growing well by February 21 We will have now gained 50% of the lost light since equinox and this is enough for the fig tree to bolt. By May the trees will start setting fig and they may ripen by early July. As winter approaches I plan to put them in a 15 + gallon container and repeat the above, The following year into spring I will transplant the trees to a 30 gallon container at spring set out date. The figs will live the remainder of their lives there because the 30 gallon containers are too heavy to move. In Cincinnati, that will be there last year. They will die. I will have 16 trees in circulation.

You would

have to be careful with my soil mix. Be prepared to put a water deflection cone over the pot if you get 5 cold rainy days in a row.

2 inches of water or sand in the bottom keeps the cups in place in high wind

9 years ago

Since I am bordering in Zone 5/6 in Southwest Michigan I can't leave the figs outdoors. Although hardy, the 4 year old Chicago figs will most likely die to the ground. I go not think the other varieties I just rooted will survive the winter (Brown Turkey, Desert King, LSU, Black, Panachee, Celeste) so they will need to stay in pots.

I like your plan to get them out of dormancy early to give them an early start. My problem with that is space and where to put them.

• silvermaple7
    9 years ago

I am curious to what night temperatures should be before I put mine out. Still three weeks to go before frost date, so obviously not yet, but how much longer should I wait?

9 years ago
    I guess depends on how old the plant is. but imo I would.not risk anything less than 50F. and that may even be low.
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have put all mine out. I brought mine in last night with a predicted low of 31F but Mine have seen low 40's often with no problem. They are also adjusting to sunlight. You will be fine if you don't get frost. Here is my latest on my best fig tree seen in the first picture on this thread.

Check the logo on the bucket to the same bucket in the firs picture. This tree is 7 months old from a 3 inch cutting.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My 13 month old from cutting Hardy chicago figs in 30 gallon half drums have many figs

My best has 52 figs from 1/8 inch to 2/3 inch in size

The tree on the left has 40 figs, the tree on the right has 23 figs

she has 40 figs

all four of my 13 month old trees have a total of 141 figs

I have 5 fig trees in 5 gallon buckets that started from cuttings end of september

total of 13 figs here

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks Toby for the like. How are your figs doing now since posting your picture above April 11.

Steve

8 years ago
    here are the ones I was growing over the winter and new batch... I had about a 50% success rate. ...
    8 years ago
    these are my 5 year old chicagos. almost full. they get wheeled - in in the winter.
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very nice trees. I like the wheeling idea. My yard rises 20 feet in the first 60 feet from the road. Wheeling is not an option for me. I have to recruit help and ropes for mine.

8 years ago

I just did that recently bc I was also pulling them in and out of the garage... which was ok but I know sooner or later it will grind down the bottom. I found someone in craigslist who had 6 of these for $5 ea so I got them all. I was going to build it but the casters alone would run me more than $5 :)

8 years ago

I don't think I'm going to use those oak barrels for the future trees. I think they are a bit too big to handle. Not sure. I like your 5 gal buckets. Someone local sells them for $1 ea. I'm guessing you have holes at the bottom?

You have way more trees than me. lol! What soil do you use in the buckets?

8 years ago

hahaha... I just noticed the cut-up blue drums. I have the same thing. Those trees in the barrel were transferred from blue drums. So maybe I will reuse the drums later on.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Typical 5 gallon bucket prepared for figs and citrus.

perfect soil for figs and citrus. contents 1 part crushed soft brick, 1 part gravel under 1/4 in diameter 3 parts sand from 1/16 to 3/16 inch, 1 part potting soil. Just don't try to move it.

The soil I use is 1 part back yard dirt with 2 parts rotted compost. works fine but you need the extra drainage hole for safety and a free breathing tree.

As for the 5 gallon bucket, you just pick it up by the handle with your finger and loop your thumb around your belt in back so that the plant rests on your rear and she is effortless to carry and you chiropractor will approve.

8 years ago

Interesting potting mix. Was this a recipe from somewhere or did you just come up with it?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Both. I looked up what people are using here on this forum and citrus forum and decided that granite sand was expensive and sand swept out of the street gutter was free. I also had porous used brigs that formed all different size shards. I removed the dust and fine grinds and chunks over 3/4 inches. This got rid of my trash brick and saved my plants. I inherit about 1/3 yard of used miracle grow potting soil a year. I haul it away for free and I get it free. The end result I saved about 200 in materials for soil with quality equal to theirs.

8 years ago
    the brick and sand concerns me as it seems to.make the soil heavy. I don't mean weight but that's part of it. I thought the idea is to make it a lighter mix. presently, I am using an organic soil mix like happy frog or black gold.
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The coarse texture of my mix drains very well and does not become hydrophobic when it gets to dry. It is equivalent to a 5-1-1 mix but is much heavier to blow over in storms. It is good for trees that have to stay out all year but must be in a container.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The trick to growing a large productive tree in a small pot is to have a porous mix that holds the roots in place in a spread out fashion and is feed a hydroponic solution for all its needs. My mix fits that criteria. 5-1-1 holds water and is the next step up from hydroponics but is still very far from in ground planting. In this manor a hydroponic tree will stand from its own roots.

8 years ago

Thanks Steve. What is the benefit of the broken-up bricks? Is it mainly for maintaining the porousness of the soil along with the sand? Also, do you get the bricks whole or in chinks and break it up?

Here's another take on soil, A bit similar to yours:

As an alternative to commercial potting mix, University of Florida Extension recommends a mix of 1 part sand, 1 part peat moss and 1 part perlite or ground bark. "Organic Gardening" magazine online recommends topping the mix with a 1-inch layer of finished compost once the fig is in the pot. The finished level of the soil surface should be from 1 to 4 inches below the rim of the pot.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The bricks serve the same purpose as the perlite. It holds small amounts of water. It provides surface area for the roots to spread. It will last at least 10 time that of perlite. It provides space for the finer grained coarse sand. It is free of charge. It is extremely angular and make an excellent support for roots. It does not harbor unwanted pathogens. The sand also mimics perlite with out the water holding capacity. It will fill the voids of the brick shards with out blocking water. The used potting soil is free

8 years ago

So do you break up the bricks yourself?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes. I use a hammer and a large 100 pound rock and I swing away. I takes about 1 hour to produce about 5 gallons of shards. The sand i get out of my street gutter.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

4 out of 5 of the fig trees in the first picture have outgrown their 5 gallon bucks and will be up potted to a 30 gallon container. I gave one of the 6 trees to a friend. They are 8 months old from a 3 inch rooted cutting.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Don't count your ripe figs until you and not the squirrels harvest them.

My first fig potential.

Steve

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My in-ground hardy Chicago fig is now coming in. It appears to have over 300 figs on the tree. I have found that I get about 10 figs per gallon of pot size per year. I have 5 fig trees in 5 gallon bucket,5 figs in 30 gallon containers and on in ground tree. I have taken 21 cutting to root and grow in 5 gallon bucket. the figs in 5's will graduate up to 10 gallon pots. the 30 gallon potted figs will get a minor root prune and stray in their 30's

Over head view but it is not currant.

8 years ago

first HC fig for the season... they just starting to ripen. Fruits are bigger this year and more per tree.

8 years ago

Steve, didn't realize you have some in the ground. So do they always die back to the ground? How old are the ones in the ground and the ones in the pots?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I believe this is the 4 th summer for the in ground fig and one fig in a 30 is 3 years, the other 4 in 30's are 2 years old and all the 5 gallon figs are in their 1st year. The first 2 winters the fig trees survived the winter of 10F and 9F. The 3rd winter I got 3 nights of -6F, one -5F and several just below zero. They were killed to the ground. The 4th winter I spread the larger limbs to the ground and covered the figs up with 2 feet of shredded leaves. This left a wagon wheel spokes of limbs the tree grew from in spring. Our low was -12F and the fig tree survived. My figs are just barely larger than a quarter. You must be doing something they really like. Last year I lost most of my fig to squirrels but doing better this year with a loss of 0 figs,

8 years ago
    this mornings harvest . had it for breakfast. ..
    8 years ago

I think I'll keep mine in pots. the two HC are 5 years old. the next oldest batch are brown turkey, brunswick and VDB that are 9 mos old. some of them actually have fruits already. I plan to grow some indoors this winter and see how they will do.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Your fig look very taste. I get from 1 to 5 figs a day usually closer to 1.

8 fig cutting rooting on lower window sill

12 fig cuttings rooting on upper north windowsill.

I found that if I cut the section to be rooted off and then use a very hot fork, I can slide the leaf stem in the groove between the tongs to cauterize and remove the leaves not wanted. This prevents the loss of energy from excessive bleeding at the cut mark. We will see over time.

8 years ago
    I did fertilize regularly this year which might account for the larger fruits.
  • BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

How regularly and at what rate Toby?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County