SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mysocalledlife

cactus rot and repotting disaster....can cactus rot be reversed?

mysocalledlife
9 years ago

So I posted on here last week looking for advice with my dying cacti and people told me to repot them in different soil. Here's my previous post if you wanted to see pictures of the two problematic cacti I was talking about: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cacti/msg0121483118368.html?7

Today I repotted my three cacti into bigger pots using 75% cactus soil and 25% perlite. I also changed out the soil to my aloe vera plant into this mixture. However there are some issues.

*The barrel cactus I posted about earlier is brown all the way from the bottom to about halfway up. It looks like one of its sides split at some point. There were two tiny little barrel cacti coming off it and now both of them are entirely brown. HOWEVER, the roots do not appear to be rotted at all and did not appear to be rotted when I checked them a month ago. So I find this to be a bit strange.

I am not sure what to do at this point. Is it possible for cactus rot to be reversed, or is it too late once it begins happening and the only solution is to amputate? (Still haven't gotten an answer to this question and can't seem to find an answer online.)

The top of the barrel cactus is still green, should I cut that part off and allow it to callus and replant? Should I allow the whole thing to recover, and is it likely that it will? Or is it too late and should I just write it off as dead now?

Honestly it's probably too late for the cactus with the long stalk..most of it seems to be brown.

*When I was repotting the aloe vera plant, I accidentally ended up breaking a whole bunch of the roots and leaving them behind in the pot. The larger roots are still attached but I left a bunch of fine ones behind. Otherwise the aloe vera appears to be healthy. Will it recover? How much trauma will this cause it?

*This is a minor issue compared to the other two, but the plants appear to be somewhat unstable in their pots. Like it seems like I could just easily pull them out, roots and all, and they're kind of "loose". Does this mean I repotted them wrong? Or will they become more stable once they grow roots in the pot?

Thanks for your answers to my questions...this cactus stuff is stressful. I feel so bad that I accidentally watered them too much.

Comment (1)