SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cliffpruitt

Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea

Cliff Pruitt
9 years ago

Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea

Background:

I haven't done much with growing anything until this year when I found an interest in gardening. In a fall sale held by a local botanical garden, I picked up a cheap Azalea. I don't know what kind it is, the label just said "Azalea". I have it growing in a pot. (I do not have plans to plant it in the ground.) When I repotted it it was pretty root bound. I did a little to try to loosen the roots and did a little root cutting, but was nervous about damaging too much of the root system so I was pretty conservative with it. I placed it in a corner of the yard under a few small oak trees. The lower branches on the trees are maybe 8 ft high or so.

What I think Went Wrong (Guessing):

For a while the plant seemed to be doing fine. I noticed that the fall flowers were wilting / turning to mush on the plant instead of drying and falling off. I believe I'd read this wasn't the normal process for the flowers but I'm not sure. I also noticed that the plant was growing kind of long slightly leggy new growth. Not knowing much about Azaleas, my reading led me to believe that maybe it was getting a little too much shade, so I moved it maybe 6 ft or so out of the direct shade of the small oaks to a place where it was in more filtered partial sun. It was in the shade of my neighbors oaks, but those are much larger trees with branches 20ft or so above ground. It's not a full sun location, but definitely brighter than below my small oaks.

Symptoms:

I noticed that the leaves slowly began browning all over the plant. Possibly too late, I realized something was probably very wrong and without knowing what else to do, I moved it back to it's shadier location below my oaks. The browned leaves eventually dropped from the branches. (Now I pretty much have a pot of sticks.) Back in the shade, it seems as though it's getting some new growth near the bottom of the plant. It still has some leaves on the branch tips that haven't dropped.

Question:

Is this what you'd expect to see from an Azalea that's gotten to much sun? Is my conjecture that the move into sun probably caused this a sensible one? The browning happened pretty slowly so, at first, I barely noticed. This makes it hard for me to feel confident that the browning started when I moved the plant and that there's not some other cause that's more likely than sun overexposure.

Also, can anyone share any advice on what I can do to help this plant recover, if recovery is possible? Although it was very inexpensive and possibly not in the best condition when I bought it. I really kind of like this plant so I'd like to save it if I can.

Thanks very much!

This post was edited by CliffPruitt on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 9:58

Comments (7)

Sponsored