SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bear_with_me

Can American Persimmon be grafted onto Asian Persimmon tree?

bear_with_me
9 years ago

This might be a useless question, if I don't find scion, and because I read persimmons are hard to graft. But winter is long, and it gives me something to think about.

I have a young Saijo persimmon tree, has not borne fruit. It is 7 feet tall. I have a young Nikita's Gift, has not borne fruit. It is 3 feet tall. It was just a twig when I planted it.

According to Raintree website, the only Asian persimmon that bears in Western Washington State, where I live, is Saijo. I don't know if they tested Nikita's Gift, so it is a long shot. The growth is very sturdy looking, anyway, but not super fast.

These two are on D. lotus rootstock.

What I am wondering, if I can find scion, is whether I can graft American persimmon onto branches of the Saijo tree. That might give more variety and a chance for something different. It might mean needing to graft a male variety too. Doing that, if there were seeds in the Saijo fruit, I assume they would be American/Asian hybrid since it's unlikely there are any male Asian persimmons around here. Just thinking about that.

Assuming I do it right, might they take? I only know whip-and-tongue, cleft, and T-budding.

Would grafting onto Asian persimmon possibly dwarf the American persimmon?

Mostly just daydreaming. But if I find some scion, it would be interesting to try.

Comments (2)