SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iliketonguyen

Soil to use to raise bare root tree

Anthony Nguyen
9 years ago

So I have heavy clay soil plus limestone under me here in NW austin suburb (Cedar Park). I'm getting bareroot peach, plum, and apple trees in. With my heavy clay soil and limestone under it, I have pretty poor drainage. I read that it is a good idea to raise tree 6" to 12" to help with drainage issues.

So my plan is to dig a hole three times as wide as the root diameter, and probably 6 inches deep. Take the same amount of "extra dirt" mix them together so I have equal parts native soil and "extra dirt" mixed, and then plant my tree so that it will be 6" to 12" lifted. Ideally I'd go for a 12" raised but I've got too many trees to plant.

QUESTION: It is strongly suggested to use the native soil for backfilling the tree from almost everywhere I've read. I have a fully sodded yard in a typical suburbia back yard, not to big at all. I dont have anywhere to get extra native soil from my back yard to raise my planting site without digging a random holes somewhere else in my back yard which id rather not do since i have nice thick dormant bermuda all over my yard.

What "extra dirt" should I use to mix with my existing equal amount of dirt to raise my tree planting site 6" to 1 feet by ~3 feet in diameter. Miracle grow garden soil for trees? Top soil mixed with aged manure and compost? All compost?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link suggesting to do 6

Comments (6)