SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cousinfloyd

disease resistant apples vs. insects

cousinfloyd
9 years ago

I didn't want to hijack the thread about disease resistant cider apples, but I did want to try to start some discussion of H'man's comment about Liberty and Freedom being disease resistant but magnets for plum curculio and other insects. If we're talking about apples in general and not just cider apples, what are the best candidates for a no-spray apple overall and not just disease resistant?

I have a Liberty tree among my unsprayed little apple orchard, and so far -- my trees are only just beginning to fruit -- the apples have been terrible quality, meaning really no edible flesh at all. I don't hardly care at all about cosmetic issues (sooty blotch, etc.), and I don't too much mind cutting around bad spots/worms, but obviously the less cutting and the more that's left afterwards the better. By those standards, and based on my very limited experience, I'm most hopeful about Pristine and least hopeful for Liberty. Gold Rush seems to be almost as bad as Liberty. Golden Delicious, Stayman, and Enterprise seem like they might be pretty good, although Enterprise has been the one apple that's had major fireblight issues for me. I have another 5 or 6 varieties that haven't fruited for me yet, by the way.

Comments (43)