SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mas_loves_roses

Elie Beauvillain in zone 5b/6a?

Mas_Loves_Roses
9 years ago

Hi gardening friends,

I've always admired this rose. alas, Elie Beauvillain is not supposed to be cold hardy in my zone sometimes 5b/sometimes 6a. I was wondering if anyone in zones 6a or 5b grows her either in the grown or in a container?

thanks!

Masiel

Comments (7)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

What a gorgeous rose! Noisettes are famously cold tender, so I personally would not try it in your zone. However, I empathize with the rose lust.

Jackie

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Hi Masiel

I don't grow Elie Beauvillain, but my Mme. Alfred Carriere is mostly tip hardy in zone 5 for me, and she's only rated to zone 7. Noisettes can be hit or miss for the colder zones, and MAC is noted to be more hardy than most noisettes regardless of the zone ratings. I have 5-6 year old teas and am branching into a few chinas, but at least in those latter cases the roses aren't as lush and full as in the pictures from warmer zones. MAC is the exception - when she has surviving cane after the winter she is stunning but she's essentially a once-bloomer for me even though she reblooms in warmer zones.

Bottom line is that it might be worth experimenting if you REALLY want this rose. Just be prepared for there to be a much shorter bush with less frequent blooms if it survives. Oh, and mine are all growing on the south side of my house, which is effectively zone 6, so pick a protected spot, and be prepared to also protect them for the winter. I stack full leaf bags around the perimeter of these minimally hardy roses (or groups of them) but leave the tops open, with just a few oak leaves at the base, to allow for circulation.

No guarantees even if someone in zone 6 grows this one, but some roses will surprise you if you don't get your hopes up too much.

Cynthia

• Mas_Loves_Roses
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both for your input. I'm still undecided on this one. I grow quite a few roses that are not hardy in my zone in pots (teas and chinas) that overwinter in the garage. Elie is supposed to grow 15+ feet so I don't think she is a good candidate for container growing. If I can clear up the front area, I could probably find it a spot (southside facing) but it will still need protection.

Cynthia, which teas do you grow in the grown? Do they do well for you?

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Masiel - my teas have grown a bit fewer since last year's bitterly cold winter but I still have 4 or 5. The best have been Mme. Antoine Mari and Maman Cochet, and with the leaf bag protections they'll bloom more or less all season. Mrs. BR Cant is also good and fairly reliable in blooms, as was Georgetown Tea, though neither was a particularly full bloomer at any given time. Duchess de Brabant was never a strong rose, but she was mostly shaded out by some aggressive clematis and might not have gotten a good chance to show herself. That's one of the roses that died off last winter. I have grown Monsieur Tiller and Safrano at various points and had them overwinter at least once, but they weren't robust. Ditto for a couple of other teas that slip my mind.

I planted the china Archduke Charles last year on another zone 6 recommendation, and I have Clementina Carbonari and Mme. Berkeley on order for this spring. There are probably some others, but those are the ones that come to mind.

FWIW, even if Elie Beauvillain is 15+ in warmer zones, she might not be that big for you in zone 6. It depends - my MAC is HUGE when happy and drapes over everything in sight (easily 15' on a good year), but my teas are no more than 4' tall at best even though they're usually 8' or more in warmer zones. I've posted a picture to give you an idea. Mme. Antoine Mari is to the left of the inner path, Georgetown Tea is to the right of the path (just barely rising above Savoy Hotel), Mrs. BR Cant is barely visible toward the left back and Maman Cochet is at the far left.

{{gwi:263711}}

Cynthia

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

I'm wondering if this worked out as I'm currently nursing a rooted cutting. Would it be worthwhile to grow as a pot pet?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    4 years ago

Not to go OT on my own question!, but I'm wondering if Archduke Charles survived in your Z6 area, Cynthia? I have one of those also that I'm afraid to plant out.