SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcrd

Do you ever feel guilty and how do you get over it?

This is the year that I will be tearing up the "large" rose bed (only fits four to six roses--depending on their size) in my back yard. I am shovel pruning Jude the Obscure (so not a fan of this rose), Evelyn (love this rose but it only has sporatic blooms during the summer and virtually none during our heat and it reverted back to rootstock) Mary Web (again sporatic blooms and they fade to white very quickly), Ambridge Rose (again reverted back to rootstock and I am not wild about the smell). I feel guilty and bad tearing up most of these. They are perfectly good plants, just not in my yard, so I am feeling guilty distroying a good plant.

I am thinking about tearing out a Ralph Moore Pink Powderpuff on my trellis. I worked hard to get it to grow (some "gardeners" that I had here doing some work about distroyed it for two years in a row). Flowers are pretty. Thorns are amazing! Doesn't bloom as much as I would like. So, I am thinking about pulling it out and planting another tall climber there. I have a HUGE arch to cover.

The roses that are going in the bed next to Pink Powderpuff will be Sister Elizabeth (in the front), Alnwick (more to the front) and Lady Emma Hamilton (in the back). I am debating on putting in Lady of Shalott there as I heard she needs a bit of shade, so I may move her to another bed on the side of the house.

For the arch, I was thinking of Night Owl (but I don't know how big it gets), Purple Splash (don't know if it would clash with the other roses--the pink ones would be next to it), or Soaring Spirits. I have always loved Shropshire Lad and am just wondering if I should get it but I don't know how it would do in my heat or if it is prolific bloomer throughout the summer. I want blooms! I have too little space for no rose blooms during the summer.

Behind the arch I have Brother Cadfael (in the back), Sharifa Asma (in the front) and I will be planting a Occhi de Fata in the front). On the other side of the arch is a DA semi double Peach Blossom which I may or may not keep. The green belt area behind me has a bush that is coming up through this rose and I may have to get rid of everything and start over again, once I put down a root barrier. UGH! Peach Blossom does well and is always the first and last to bloom in my yard.

So, how do you get rid of the guilt of distroying perfectly good plants? I hate distroying a living thing (other than the Jude the Obscure rose!). Any thoughts on the climbers I am considering if I get rid of the Pink Powderpuff?

Comments (23)