SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
garcanad

Rose Selection

garcanad
9 years ago

One of my garden plans for this spring is a crazy idea rose area. After some search based on fragrant, colour and availability I narrowed down to the following:
Double Delight
Margaret Merril
Souvenir du Dr. Jamain
Night owl
Wild Blue Yonder
William Shakespeare 2000
Burgundy Iceberg
Dainty Bess
Elegant (Fairy Tale)
Jasmina
Neptune
Rhapsody in Blue
Roundelay
Stormy Weather
Can you help in identifying which ones might have disease resistance issues, and which ones can take some afternoon shade. Any other cautions that can minimize project failure in the longer term are also welcome.
Thanks

Comments (45)

• mariannese
    9 years ago

I am familiar only with Rhapsody in Blue and can confirm that it can take some shade, or quite a lot in my garden. You can see for yourself how healthy the leaves are.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I grow most of my mauve/lavender roses in part shade, to protect more of their coloring, as mariannese reports above. I doubt they bloom as much as they should - certainly my Rhapsody in Blue has never looked that good, but I also have the following under limbed up trees in part shade: Souvenir du Dr. Jamain, Night Owl, Wild Blue Yonder, Burgundy Iceberg, Elegant Fairy Tale, and Stormy Weather. The only one that's arguably happy about that location is Elegant Fairy Tale and the corresponding Floral Fairy Tale. Much more happy in the shade is almost any Hybrid Musk in my yard.

I have almost all the others you mention in my yard too and they'd mostly be happier in more sun, particularly the HTs. Wm Shakespeare 2000 might be OK in some shade - Darcy Bussell and The Prince are pretty happy in this kind of shade, but he's not as prolific a bloomer as these for me even in the sun.

Sounds like you'll have some nice roses! BTW, a better lavender than Neptune for me and bullet proof even in the shade is Poseidon - prolific and disease free, not to mention cane hardy (a real issue in zone 5).

Cynthia

• Related Discussions

Rose selection for a conservatory?

Q

Comments (22)
    Hi all, Thank goodness for Google. I'm able to get you folks' input, read all kinds of OGR literature including nineteenth century treatises on roses culture and buy the plants I want with a few clicks (and a credit card). Here's where my thoughts and purchases sit at the moment: For starters I cancelled my order for one HT, a Pope JP II on a 36" standard...I decided that one pristine pope-on-a-stick wasn't quite the tropical explosion I was looking for around a seating area and fountain. So instead I ordered three HTs :-) I called up K&M roses down in ole Mississip and got a 'Fragrant Cloud', a 'Peace' and a JPII, all on fortuniana. I figure that fort should help keep them in active growth during the winter and really pump them up until they're huge and vulgar. For OGRs I've still got SouvDLM ordered and I'm getting three chinas: 'G. Nabonnand', 'Général Schablikline' and 'Tipsy Imperial Concubine'. (luv that name). The second and third were specifically grown for winter flower production early on so they are worth a shot, for sure. The above are scheduled for a mid April 2015 delivery. Now I need to pick out a climber for an east facing wall that'll get a half day of bright sun. The wall's 8' wide by 12' tall. It should be super fragrant and bloom well, particularly in winter. It should have flexible canes so I can train it easily and not stick out more than a couple of feet. It should probably be quite vigorous but not stick out from the wall too much. I'm willing to keep it cut back plenty but if the plant is too thorny it might cause me to shirk my pruning duties. I really like the look of 'Secret Garden Musk Climber' but will I be able to keep it in check ten years down the road? What about 'Gloire de Dijon' or one of the many tea-noisettes? I don't want anything too brightly coloured, reds are out though I'm toying with buying a 'Annie Laurie McDowell' which is pretty darn bright. What are your climber suggestions and why? Thanks for your help so far! Steve H.
    ...See More

Rose selection help

Q

Comments (11)
    For $5.00, go for it. How many are you getting? KO roses are landscaping roses, I grow them for their bright colors. If you want to add fragrance to your garden, there are other kinds of roses you can grow. I might be the wrong person to answer your question, because I have a lot of KOs. I cleared one Lowe's store twice, bought all roses they had on that day. I wanted quick colors in my garden back then. Now I am adding on more and more old garden roses with fragrance. But for $5, it's a great price to add more colors to a garden. :-) Good luck!
    ...See More

Hot spot rose selection advice

Q

Comments (4)
    You might not want Hot Cocoa in that spot. It is a straight up grower and really doesn't do well on it's own roots, Dr. Huey, or Multiflora. Now on Fortuniana rootstock it still grows straight up but is a much bushier plant and pumps out the blooms and repeats very quickly. Your location is the key to Hot Cocoa. Livin Easy might be a better selection.
    ...See More

Help With Rose Selection - Sonoma County Wine Country

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you for the response! I have seen the David Austin roses recommended for this area. I will look at that one! As for fragrance, I think I'm in luck. I'm actually very sensitive to strong fragrances, so I have been ruling out any roses that advertise being highly fragrant. I've spent a good portion of the evening doing more research. In my area, "4th of July" seems to come highly recommended as a potential climber for my arbor. Though I'm still trying to decide if that's the look I'm going for. As for candidates for my two raised beds, I'm kind of insane for the color and characteristic of "Chicago Peace". Feedback on that rose is welcome, as well as ideas on what might be a nice color to compliment it. I'm now also scheming on another area of my yard where I have white Iceberg roses growing very well (recommended on these forums, thank you!). I also have cala lillies and a potato vine. I.e., too much white. I've got space to fill in some color, and am looking for hearty slightly shade-tolerant shrubs. They'll go in the ground and may need to be tough enough to compete with roots from other plants. From what I've read, I should probably be looking at "species roses" for that area, though I'm open to any suggestions and ideas. Thank you again for thoughts!
    ...See More
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    9 years ago

I have Wild Blue Yonder and it is one of the best roses in my garden. I only got bs in late summer. Lots of blooms and it is vigorous. I am from Ontario, Canada too so we are in the same zone.

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All, Thank you for your helpful info.
    One of the naive objectives of this little project is an attempt to aggregate enough fragrant and repeat blooming roses in one area in the hope (wishful thinking) that when I walk by that area, I can get intoxicated by rose fragrant. Is that possible?

mariannese, that Rhapsody in Blue is very cool flower and foliage.

cynthia, You must be a rose addict like I am in other types of plants. The area Intended for this project is mostly full sun except one corner that is somewhat shade in the afternoon. I was trying to decide which of my selection should go into that corner. I have selected Neptune because it is rated 'very fragrant' and Poseidon as 'scented'. I understand rose fragrant can vary among individuals and can be elusive. From your experience with all these roses, can you comment on the relative fragrant of the roses in my selections?

JJPeace, Good to know that Wild Blue Yonder will be doing well in my area. On the net, some pictures show bluish red and some pink red. Does the colour fade from one to the other?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Yes, Wild Blue Yonder fades like Ebb Tide, but in your cooler zone (we have horribly hot, sunny summers) I'll bet there is less fading. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Above was an unfaded bloom. Now here is a pic of Ebb Tide. The faded blooms are the same shade as WBY when it fades. Diane

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Diane. The unfaded Wild Blue Yonder colour in your pic looks great. I can be happy with the colours of the mixed faded blooms in your beautiful pictures as well.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

I love Souvenir du Dr. Jamain! He is new but here is a pick, and must have afternoon shade. He does Black spot a little, but I don't spray.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Double Delight is neither the best nor the worst when it comes to bs resistance (and possibly mildew in some environments), but I can always count on it having an attack of BS during (or maybe it is "after) each blooming cycle. In other words, it often does just fine, but it will periodically come down with BS.

I tried to grow WmShakespeare in part shade--he had lots of trouble re-blooming there--never bloomed much at any time, now that I think of it.

Double Delight wants sun. Don't even think of part shade.

That's all I know from your list--but judging from the pics others have included here, you have some really lovely roses on that list. Good luck.

Kate

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Alana, Thanks. Your feedback is encouraging especially without spray. I cannot spray also (all chemicals are banned in Ontario). I am willing to put up with some disease look, but am trying to avoid an overly disease/sick look.

Kate, Thanks. I will make sure WmShakespeare get a full sun spot. I included Double Delight even though its colour may be a stretch to fit the intended scheme, but all my reading suggested that it is one of the most fragrant roses. The BS issue is a concern, but I will give a trial and plant it in a not too 'frontal' spot in case the disease look spoil the overall look of the bed.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I have Double Delight and Dainty Bess and there is no doubt they are classic beauties and well worth growing. However, there is also no doubt that they will black spot.

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Seil, Thanks. I checked out Dainty Bess again after you pointed out its weakness in black spot. Some source rated it as fragrant and some say not, and all indicate it is not disease resistent. However, I really like its elegant look. I think I will keep it in my order. If the disease problem turns out to be unmanageable I will move it to the 'Siberia' part of my garden.

9 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, Garcan. The flowers on my plant seems to be more mauve or purplish than nanadoll pics. It does fade but I don't mind it because it is a beautiful shade of lavender or mauve. The one thing I love about it is there are lots of blooms and the bush is tall too. The repeat is quite good. It looks beautiful next to Peace. Sorry, unfortunately I don't have any pictures. Can you believe it? I had never taken pictures of my roses.

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JJPeace, Thanks. '..more mauve or purplish', '..shade of lavender or mauve', '..lots of blooms', '..repeat' and '..tall' all sound perfect for my purpose.
    No pictures to 'review' your garden in our long cold winter? lol.
    I supplement normal camera shooting with cell phone shots more and more. It is very convenient when you go out for a casual garden walk and saw something nice in bloom.

• onewheeler
    9 years ago

I have grown some of the roses on your list. The only one I can comment on though is Jasmina. I loved this rose, she was in constant bloom and very healthy. The only reason I lost her was because my dog loved it too and raised his leg every time he walked by her. ;-( I have since moved to another garden and have reordered this rose and will keep the dog away this time.

Night Owl, Wm S and Dr. all had a few issues with black spot but being a non sprayed I lived with it. BS was never a big issue in my gardens. I just loved the roses and enjoyed every fragrant bloom they would give.

Valerie

9 years ago

Garcan, It is true, I never took any pictures of my roses. Everyone here has plenty of pictures to show and I feel a bit guilty here. lol.

Thanks Valerie about Jasmina. I have been eyeing this rose since last year. I originally was deciding between Jasmina and New Dawn. Someone mentioned New Dawn is very prickly so I guess Jasmina it is then.

9 years ago

Hi Garcan

Sorry, I was away for a bit. You'd asked about my impressions of fragrance, and I have to preface this with the fact that I don't have a good "nose" for fragrance, with all the allergy issues I have. Having said that, lavenders tend to be bred more for color than intense fragrance in my experience, and in zone 5 it's generally way more important to select a lavender for winter hardiness and disease resistance than other qualities. Lavenders are notorious for being wimps - that's why roses like Poseidon that are robust, hardy, and great rebloomers are such a terrific surprise. Among the roses you list, the only ones that stand out for fragrance are of course Double Delight (on the top 10 of many people's fragrance lists), William Shakespeare 2000, and Souv. de Dr. Jamain. I think Margaret Merril might have some fragrance, and Jasmina might have a mild pleasant smell. Beyond that, nothing trips my nose on your list - most of the Austins in the purple range are going to be more fragrant (Munstead Wood, Darcy Bussell, The Prince all do very well for me and don't pink out in the shade). The most intensely fragrant rose I grow is in this color range, but more burgundy - Barcelona/Francis Dubreuil. Don't let the cold ratings for this one deter you - it's cane hardy in my yard.

Most of the roses you list are also pretty disease resistant for me, but we have a dry climate that doesn't put too much pressure on them. The worst offenders would probably be Double Delight, Stormy Weather, and Burgundy Iceberg for me. Not unrelated - Stormy Weather and Burgundy Iceberg have also failed to overwinter for me at least 2 or 3 times, so they're only marginally hardy. Surprising for me, since Iceberg is a trooper and fairly bullet proof.

And yes, I am clearly a rose addict, with over 750 of them, not to mention the other perennials, and probably approaching 100 daylilies and at least 40 clematis of various sorts scattered among them. We're here to support each others' addictions and make sure we (and our roses) stay healthy, while still enabling each other for fun roses.

Cynthia

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Valerie, Thanks. I was just about to change my order to replace Jasmina with Ebb Tide. After surveying the google images for Jasmina. It appears that its colour is likely more medium pink than the subtle red pink shown on Palatine's catalog. The intended colour scheme is very pale pink plus dark purplish red to 'tone down' the many 'pink' perennials in this bed. (I don't particularly like pink flower perennials but can't exclude them from my garden.) After reading your comment, I think I will keep Jasmina in the order. If necessary, I will add another rose bed.

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, thank you very much for sharing your valuable experience. I was not holding my breath for the fragrance, just hoping that if I put enough of them together (that are mostly re-blooming), I might have a better chance enjoying some fragrance in that corner. Burgundy colour would fit the scheme. I would love to get Barcelona but can't source it in Canada.
    750 roses!! Even if I add all my addictions (Japanese maples, conifers, clematis, hosta, Heuchera etc. etc. ) I can't match that. My addiction is already in the 'hopeless' range. I guess you are beyond that? That must be a very enchanting garden. Any pic of your garden for a glimpse?

9 years ago

Happy to oblige with a photo - it never takes too much arm-twisting for any of us to show off our roses. This was from 2013 when everything exploded after a warm winter, so it's not remotely tidy (not that my garden usually is anyway). Still I love the exuberance of it all, and so far we're having another mild winter that might lead to a bumper crop of summer roses.

Of course you'll have to return the favor with photos when your roses get settled in as well!

Cynthia

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is enchanting indeed! Personally, I like rose planting like this in natural setting and atmosphere to stroll and hang out in.
    I am not confident that my project will work out since I have a habit of neglecting (or free ranging) my roses when I am busy with other garden tasks. If it works, I will post a couple of pic. In the mean time, here is a little more twisting of your arms; perhaps a couple more glimpses?

9 years ago

Wow Cynthia, I agree with garcan that your garden is very inspirational. I really love the natural feel of the garden. Your pic definitely convinced me that steel arbour is the way to go. I am actually surprised that the roses are close to the giant pine tree in the back. Isn't there root competition?

9 years ago

Ow, ow ow - OK enough arm twisting (smile). You've forced me to look back at some fun pictures from a good rose year. Here's my "anything goes" mailbox bed - any color, that is, as long as it stays below 3 feet. If it weren't for the purples in here making everyone play nicely, this bed could get eye popping (and can in early summer before the perennials really kick in). Obviously part of a loosely structured rose bed is having lots of other plants to tie them together and make the look work.

I don't have most of these up on photobucket so I'll just post this one and another individually. And thanks for the lovely complements! Don't worry about neglecting your roses either, garcan. Frankly, once they're established and happy in your yard as long as you prune out dead wood and keep them reasonably watered, you can neglect them as much as you wish. It's easier to kill them with kindness than with neglect, if you have roses well suited for your yard.

Oh in answer to your question, JJPeace - the pine tree is in the neighbor's yard and isn't really all that close to this particular bed. I do have roses under some other limbed up pines in my yard, and as long as they can get sufficient sun for their type (the hybrid musks are happier in this spot than most hybrid teas would be) and aren't in a dry pocket of roots, they seem to be happy enough.

Cynthia

9 years ago

Here's my reminder to myself of the folly of doing too much planning (at least in my case). All these roses are supposed to be apricot according to the descriptions - also the clematis - and they clearly spread across a wide range of colors. In a "riot of color" yard this one works OK, but in a formal bed these would be considered clashing. I like the mix though - even the spent flowers of Carefree Celebration look kind of nice.

This bed is on the zone 4 section of my yard so it's clearly a bed of survivors.

Cynthia

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

I love these flowerbeds, Cynthia. And the "apricots" coordinate very smoothly, too. Those big, puffy, gorgeous things look a bit "peachy" to me. What are those stunning roses? Yum. Diane

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Cynthia. Hope your arm is OK now.
    The bluish purple perennials actually provide an interesting form of balanced and pristine context that make those roses look more elegant without competing. I like close planting composition but was not sure roses can take that. Looking at your images, now I know it can be done.
    Your second image does not look 'riot' to me. It actually look pleasantly warm and one can look at it over and over again without getting tired of it. Thanks again.

9 years ago

Glad you like the rose chaos - it's fortunate that I do too, since I'm way too lazy to have an organized garden. Diane - all of the roses in the apricot picture would do well for you. I think the puffy apricot ones you like are Sweet Fragrance - this is a jaw-dropping prolific hardy and healthy Easy Elegance rose that has worked into my top 10 favorite rose - I now have 5 of them lined through this bed to tie everything together. In case you were referring to something else, here are the roses from left to right: (low left just barely in picture) Coral Cove and Queen of Hearts Freelander, (left and low central, with some faded flowers) Carefree Celebration, (central and higher) Sweet Fragrance, (just visible at top right of section) Lady Elsie May, (yellow and pink cascading to right) Spiced Coffee.

Garcan, yes you can definitely plant other annuals and perennials around roses much more than are done in the "formal" rose gardens, but how closely you can plant depends a little on your climate. Diane and I can get away with cramming things into beds willy-nilly because we have pretty dry climates. In areas with high blackspot pressure you may need to leave a little more circulation room around the roses, but there actually is more space around the roses than it looks by the photos. Also, if your perennials are fall bloomers they can be closer to the roses than an equally big summer bloomer, since they don't reach full size till blackspot season is nearly done. The mailbox photo is from October and it's OK that the asters are crowding the roses a bit, as they're starting to wind down the year anyway.

Thanks again for the kind comments - now it's your turn for photos folks.

Cynthia

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for cautioning me on our climate differences; our summer can be hot and humid. I have to remember not to get carried away on the planting density around the roses.
    Showing the few rose pictures I have in a forum of rose experts is kind of embarrassing. Until a year or so ago, I have been shuffling what's left of my few roses to my 'Siberia' whenever I need their spots (leave alone taking their photos). However, since you asked, I will do my bit; here are a few older photos of three 'death-proof' roses that survive the abuse:
    (paper bag over my head first)

Climbing Iceberg:
    {{gwi:2120133}}

Eddie's jewel
    {{gwi:2120134}}

Hawkeye Belle
    {{gwi:2120135}}

• canadian_rose
    9 years ago

Wow!! Hawkeye Belle looks gorgeous!! Any scent!!
    Carol

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol, sorry I can't remember for certain (have not been paying much attention to it for a while). I did a quick check. Both Dave's Garden and All Things Plant sites say that it is very fragrant, but one comment in a thread from the Northern Garden Forum of Garden Web said that it is not scented. It is such a strong profuse repeat bloomer that you need to dead head often, or it can look messy with the spent buds mixed with new blooms. It is very forgiving and tough. I have to move it a few times in the last few years, and it always came back happy even in very exposed and hard clay unprepared bed.

9 years ago

Lovely photos garcan!! If these are "paper bag" photos I sure can't wait to see the next ones that you take on purpose. That Eddie's Jewel is stunning and ready to eat your house, and I can only wish my climbing Iceberg looked half that wonderful. I agree that Hawkeye Belle is showing her finest, and you should be very proud!

Cynthia

9 years ago

Thanks Cynthia. Good info to keep in mind.

Wow Garcan, love your garden too. Since we are in the same area, it will give me a good indication to what roses thrive or not. I've always wanted climbing iceberg. I have planted one two years ago but end up being the most bs prone and died after first winter. I wasn't going to grow it again, but after seeing your success, I may try again.
    I think we should rename Eddie's Jewel to Garcan's Jewel. It looks very healthy and gorgeous. Is it resistant to bs?
    Hawkeye Belle? I didn't realize we could grow it up here. Very nice.
    Thanks for sharing.

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthis, I think all my garden photos qualify as 'PBP' (Paper Bag Photo) grade LOL. I just thought showing my few 'ordinary common' rose photos in a serious rose forum is not 'cool' (or embarrassing). Thanks for the encouraging comments. Eddie's Jewel was indeed trying to eat my eve as the canes grow into it. It was targeted for exile to 'Siberia' but I still have not get around to that operation for a few years. With the kind comments above, I might as well show my last presentable rose pic. It is supposed to be 'Guinee' but I doubt it (The pics in my book and google look darker red.):
    {{gwi:2120136}}

JJPeace, Thanks for the kind comments. All three roses are more than 10 years in the garden. I don't recall any bad looking diseased leaves that annoyed me. The Iceberg was killed to near the ground level for the first time after the record worst winter last year, but it appears to bounce back by last summer. I don't recall it repeat-blooming for me as stated in the catalog. I don't think Eddie's Jewel has bs problem (touch wood). Its blooms lasted probably a week and that include the beautiful (and 'romantic') petal shower as you walk the path. It does not re-bloom; pity.

9 years ago

You never should feel embarrassed of your pics, Garcan. You have a beautiful garden and roses. I like the natural woods you use as arbors and trellis. It reflects the "romantic gardens" style which I do love; it is simply elegant and timeless.

9 years ago

I agree with JJPeace - your garden, the roses and the setting all are lovely. And that very impressive specimen looks just about right for Guinee, at least in my yard. Basically, any rose that is a darkish color that doesn't tend toward pink gets labeled "dark red", and the photos that show a darker burgundy color are usually taken under special lighting conditions, or a fortunate few blooms in cool weather. Yours looks like the color of my Guinee on a good day, though mine has never grown anywhere like as lush as yours on its best day (or in my wildest dreams). I didn't know it could climb that well in our climate, but the rose looks plausible at least as Guinee.

Cynthia

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

JJPeace, Cynthia, thanks for the encouraging comments; sounds like we have similar taste in garden atmosphere. I suspect I may have been infected with another addiction. I am showing all the symptoms (adding more and more rose names on to the 'I want it' list, cruising internet for rose sources, pictures and videos...). Its a curse...
    Cynthia, thanks for confirming it's a Guinee. The lushness in the photo is deceiving; the bottom two third was embraced by Clematis Minuet. I meant to move Guinee (to Siberia') when I planted the Clematis there a few years ago, but I delayed. Now it is impossible to extract it out without killing both. I think the Clematis will finally prevail especially after Guinee was killed to near the ground level last winter like my Iceberg. It has been there for more than 10 years.

• Socal2warm
    9 years ago

The "most" fragrant rose is often said to be Jude the Obscure, although it can be hard to find. It has a very fruity tangerine smell with a little grapefruit, distantly reminiscent of gardenia, intensely fragrant.

9 years ago

I stumbled upon Jude the Obscure last spring when I stopped by a small family owned garden center. I didn't know much about it but I knew it was a D.A. rose. There was only one pot and it looks like it was grown by the family. I didn't notice too much of a scent because there was only two or three flowers last summer; I assume it was first year trying to establish itself. However, after reading a lot about it on this forum, it looks like I got a winner. I hope it will survive this winter and then I will confirm its scent this coming summer.

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Socal2warm, thanks for that great suggestion. Although the colour is not ideal for this project, I have a perfect spot for it in another bed. It appears to be available from David Austin (US) which ships to Canada. Since I am making a small trial order from them for the first time, I will add this to the list.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Your roses are beautiful, garcan, and must be well suited to your climate to show such lovely results.
    I'm starting my eleventh year with Jude the Obscure and know this rose pretty well, but of course, these observations are for my climate only. Jude has a nice scent, but most of my other Austins smell even better to me. The blooms this rose produces are gorgeous most of the time, but can occasionally ball, and they perform only ok in the heat. The spring flush is usually great, but rebloom for me is just ok. My Jude is very large, too, but probably would be smaller in your climate. You'll notice lots of qualifiers in this evaluation, but all in all, Jude does well enough for me to keep.
    A rose that hardly ever comes up on this forum that I think is beautiful and cold hardy, and was developed in Canada, I believe, is Morden Sunrise. I love it, but I don't think it has much scent.
    Below is my favorite photo of Jude Blooms.
    Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of Morden Sunrise. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    9 years ago

One last, not so good pic, of Morden--it's sideways. Sorry. Diane

• garcanad
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diane, Thanks for sharing your valuable experience on Jude, the beautiful photos and the Morden Sunrise. Eleven year is definitely enough to make a solid observation. Further to the comment by Socal2warm, I checked out David Austin catalog which states "Particularly strong and delicious fragrance" and "...award-winning fragrance is extremely strong..", "Repeat: Excellent.."..; impressive! I guess it is a variable that may depend on locations etc. Thanks to your observation, I should not be assuming that description necessarily applies fully to my location etc. I hope I will get at least a nice level (since it will be located next to the main deck and close to the window by my desk). Morden Sunrise has that elegant look like Dainty Bess, and the colour shades and the wholesome display form shown on your beautiful picture make it desirable. I can source it from Hortico here (although there is a warning for black spot in their catalog).

• treehugger101
    9 years ago

Mariannese, Your pic of Rhapsody in Blue looks like Blue For You to me. Does anyone know where to find Rhapsody In Blue and/ or Blue For You? Chamblee's has BFY but they are twigs and it is 20 in shipping besides. Thanks for your help.

Terri

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    9 years ago

Northland Rosarium has both. I got Rhapsody from them last year. It was a good sized healthy plant and grew vigorously.