SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rayrose_gw

2014 Varmint Report.

rayrose
9 years ago

Each year I post my annual varmint report, basically to keep track of the worst and least offenders, and to see, if any of the programs or methods that I constantly change have any real effects. Also to get feedback from other posters as to how successful their methods have been. I'm not an animal rights lover, but I know that my orchard/garden provides nesting habitats for many animals, some beneficial, some not. I have kind of a love/ hate relationship with birds. I know that they eat many insects that harm the productivity of my orchard, but they also will decimate many things that I havest, mainly figs and blueberries, so much so, that I have to net many of these trees. But's that's a trade off, with which I can live. I trap many birds throughout the year, but I always release them. That's why they are not included in the list.
I live in a residential neighborhood on a 1/3 acre lot, surrounded by other houses. I use 5 Safeguard animal traps, 3 large and 2 small ones. I keep them baited with apples from my orchard and sunflower seeds. I also use an air rifle. I'm showing 3 years of data, which helps me to keep track of changes. The main habitat change that occurred in 2014 is my neighbor, catty corner to the rear of my property, removed all of her large trees. You can clearly see, how that drastically affected the number of squirrels that I trapped.
Also, this year I disposed of a 5 ft. long black snake, that I found curled up atop a wheel barow that I keep full of rain water. He had obviously just eaten something and was drinking his fill, and wouldn't budge, no matter how close I got. I also trapped my first fully brown raccoon, something I've never seeen before . At first, I thought it was some sort of hybrid animal, until I did some research and found that brown raccoons are not uncommon. I'm enclosing a pic, in case yoou've never seen one.

Squirrels 2014-- 25
2013-- 54
2012-- 21

Rabbits 2014--10
2013--7
2012--4

Opossum 2014--15
2013--13
2102--6

Raccoon 2014--5
2013--1
2012--1