SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Is bud blast of big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

I love houseplants. Phals make great houseplants. I have Phals since grade six. In the last three years, Phals appear to have been massively produced and available in large quantity in stores. I loved it. However, I notice some changes in the Phals sold, since I continuously purchase them:

1 The earlier Phals (say, Phals sold before 2010) have somewhat smaller leaves and less leaves. The recent Phals have stately fat and wonderful leaves.

2 The earlier Phals have less bud count at any time. The recent Phals have at least six buds growing for each spike.

3. I never have Phal bud blasts in the earlier Phals.

I bought this tall pink Phal two years ago. This year, it produced six huge buds on a long spike. All six buds grew large. It looked like that they were ready to open any time. The buds were held for almost a month, hmm, so I went to check yesterday. The first three of the buds (toward the base of the spike) have started to shrivel. In contrast, none of my Phals purchased before 2010 has significant bud blast problem.

They are grown in the same condition and by the same care person, me. Is bud blast problem of some big-box store Phalaenopsis genetic?

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 21:52

Comments (14)