SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rgodman

New nursery stock Japanese Maple Shania help pls

rgodman
9 years ago

Hi everyone... I was at a local nursery this weekend and saw this Shania and just could not resist (was highly discounted). I really wanted to have a couple Japanese Maples to play with as bonsai, and I do know they really don't make great subjects because of the graft union, but to me they don't have to be perfect, and I'll never show my trees anyway, just want to enjoy them.

I do like the shape of this little guy, but it does need a pruning for structure, and to remove things not growing as they should. After removing a little soil I was pleased to see a little nebari action going on as well. so.. for my questions...

I have never really done anything with Japanese Maples before.. does anyone have a Shania? When and how hard can I prune this. I am not thinking truck chop, but a reduction of maybe 60-70% of branching and buds for a base structure. Can this be done all at one time on this tree? .. and when?.. or just 30% per year?

The tree is sitting crooked in the container, I would like to reposition. It is in a 1 gallon container now, ideally I'd like to put it in wider but shorter grow pot with bonsai soil. Can I also repot this when I prune? Should I leave all roots intact (just relocate and spread), or also slight root prune?.. or would you just prune it and leave in the container for this year.. light pruning and root pruning next year?

Lastly... yes the grafting spot has chunk of wood in it. After looking the union over it is very clean but for the knot with the piece of dowel. But looking at it close I think I gently carve that out, and thinking the trunk may close over well. At least enough to make me happy.

Any thoughts, and and guidance would be great.

Thanks,
Ray

Comments (2)

Sponsored