SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jadeysan

White fluffy bits on a Pinus thunbergii, Japanese Black Pine

Jadeysan
9 years ago

I'm new to the Forum and new to bonsai so please bear with me and my lack of experience.

I've been lucky to have received a gift of a Pinus thunbergii, Japanese Black Pine which I guess to be about 2 - 3 years old (???) and has been trained although I took the wires off as it was scarring the trunk.

Problem 1: I've only had it a few months but recently I notice that some white fluff appearing in the centre of the needle clusters. It's not on the tree branches. I've tried to look up on the internet to no avail so thought I'd post an image to see what the experts can advice. I know this tree needs full sun but it's been quite dull over the recent winter months and I have been careful not to over water as it's been damp and quite rainy. I don't believe the tree has been waterlogged, I've been checking regularly. It's outdoors and over the coldest weeks (-1�C) I have wrapped just its pot with fleece to protect but not the plant itself.

Problem 2: I have also noticed that the greeness of the needles starting to fade together with the development of some needles turning a complete light brown as well as just the tips of others going brown. As i can only upload 1 image this shows just the tips going brown and not the other needles. I hope it's not Needle Cast but....so...can anyone let me know what both the problems might be please and how to remedy? I hope to save the tree obviously.

Much appreciation and thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

Sponsored